Blyth Spartans 2-2 Chester

    Chester made it seven unbeaten but were made to rue missed chances and settle for a point at Blyth Spartans.

    Declan Weeks gave the Seals the lead, before a quickfire double from Will McGowan and Billy Gordon saw the hosts have the advantage at the break.

    Nevertheless, an excellent volley from Harrison Burke just after the hour mark saw the Blues return from the North East with a point,

    Calum McIntyre made three changes from last Saturday’s draw against Boston United.

    Kieran Coates, Owen Windsor and Christian Norton dropped to the bench – with Tom Sparrow, Iwan Murray and Kole Hall starting.

    Chester made a strong start and, moments after Dan Langley was out quickly to deny Murray, Joel Taylor slid George Glendon in behind who saw his poked effort saved by the body of the Blyth ‘keeper.

    But a strong start was rewarded with the opener on 16 minutes.

    Sparrow’s excellent first touch and through ball started the chance, as he played Hall in on goal, however the forward was denied by a mixture of Langley and a Blyth defender.

    Nevertheless, Weeks was on hand to skilfully guide his header into the corner of the net for his fifth of the campaign.

    But Blyth were in front in a matter of seconds with their first two attacks of the entire game.

    Firstly, Michael Ndjoli slid the ball through to McGowan in space inside the box he cleverly rolled his effort into the bottom corner on 24 minutes.

    Seconds later, some slack defending ended with Gordon being played through on goal and making no mistake – firing beyond Wyll Stanway.

    The Yellows continued to look to create and find their way back into the game, as Weeks’ swirling effort from range was tipped over acrobatically by Langley.

    Just before the break Taylor saw a left-footed free kick from the edge deflect just wide, as Chester went in behind at the break.

    Blyth almost extended their lead seconds after the break, but Ndjoli headed Rhys Evans’ cross the wrong side of the post.

    Moments later down the other end Taylor’s dangerous swinging cross was nodded wide by the unmarked skipper Glendon.

    Chester did though equalise just after the hour mark. Weeks turned provider as his free kick from the right touchline into the box was superbly volleyed home on the full by Burke.

    McIntyre’s men continued to press and probe, as sub Kieran Coates saw his cutback turned inches wide by a Blyth defender – before Burke nodded a Weeks’ corner over the bar from close range.

    Then the same combination forced a save from Langley, before then substitute Windsor was found inside the box by Coates and was denied by the ‘keeper again – before Glendon crashed the rebound against the underside of the crossbar.

    The visitors nearly won it in the final moments after great work by Windsor released Taylor, but he was denied once again by the impressive Langley as it ended level.


    Chester: Stanway, Sparrow (Coates 59), Burke, Williams, Roberts, Taylor, Whitehouse, Murray (Daly 78), Weeks, Glendon, Hall (Windsor 59).

    Subs Not Used: Norton, Maguire.

    Scorers: McGowan 24, Gordon 25; Weeks 16, Burke 63.

    Attendance: 764.