Chester 0-0 York City

    Chester were more than a match for their National League opponents, but were forced to settle for a replay after a goalless draw against York City.

    The Blues battled hard throughout the 90 minutes, defensively resolute and had some big chances in each half, but will face off with the Minstermen once again in ten days time after it ended all square.

    Calum McIntyre made two changes from the victory at Curzon last weekend. Liam Edwards replaced Harrison Burke in defence, while Reece Daly started up top in place of the cup-tied Tom Peers.

    The Blues were able to name nine subs as per the competition rules, which included a place for 16-year-old academy forward Oskar Rosenblatt.

    York had the first opening after a neat switch found Ryan Fallowfield who fed the run of Olly Green, but the Hull City loanee’s shot was well blocked by Liam Edwards.

    After the minutes Chester went mighty close, as a patient move ended with George Glendon poking the ball to Adam Thomas inside the box, who saw his low effort on the spin brilliantly tipped round the post by the veteran David Stockdale.

    Moments later, Lennell John-Lewis was played in behind but dragged his effort wide of Wyll Stanway’s left-hand post.

    Glendon stole possession off Alex Woodyard on 21 minutes to start a Chester counter, the Captain did all of the work on his own to drive into the box and then saw his curler fly off target.

    York had the next chance just after the hour mark after smart play, Fallowfield was clipped in behind in the right side of the box and cut back for Quevin Castro – who saw his shot deflected wide.

    Into the second half in a tight affair as a dangerous Tom Sparrow cross almost brought the opener but Whitehouse and Weeks collided as they both went to head the ball home.

    Down the other end and Paddy McLaughlin managed to cut the ball back to Green who was in a good position once again for the visitors, before skewing his effort well wide.

    York appeared to be ending the game the stronger as Green saw a deflected effort fly just over, before an attempt from Dipo Akinyemi from range was pushed away by Stanway.

    But it was to be Chester with the momentum as we approached stoppage time; sub Charlie Caton heading just wide from Weeks’ corner, before Whitehouse was foiled by Stockdale after a promising run from Taylor.

    The left-back almost assisted the winner in the fifth minute of stoppage time, as his cross was inches away from the foot of Whitehouse and Caton couldn’t quite turn the ball home, as it ended goalless.


    Chester: Stanway, Sparrow (Coates 67), Edwards, Williams, Taylor, Roberts, Weeks, Whitehouse, Glendon (Murray 86), Daly (Burke 67), Thomas (Caton 59).

    Subs Not Used: Davies, Evans, Heywood, Rosenblatt, Maguire.

    Attendance: 3,329.