Chester 0-2 Macclesfield

    Chester suffered a 2-0 home defeat to Cheshire rivals Macclesfield Town as the search for a first home win of the season continues.

    Macclesfield kicked off the Bank Holiday fixture and it was the visitors who took an early lead despite the run of play after a superb cross from Tyrone Marsh was met with a neat header from Mitch Hancox to put the Silkmen ahead after 7 minutes and fire the game into life.

    Chester looked to get themselves back into the game and their first real attempt came after 19 minutes when Craig Mahon thundered a shot high and wide.

    A long ball over the top gave the Chester fans a scare as Marsh was found through on goal but Ryan Astles recovered brilliantly to clear the danger.

    Macclesfield came close to doubling their lead when Adam Yates delivered a dangerous looping cross which met the head of Gime Toure but the French striker couldn’t keep it down and sent it just over the bar.

    Elliott Durrell found space on his return to the Swansway Chester Stadium and looked to find the Silkmen a second as he dazzled his way down the right but his low cross came to nothing.

    Chester began the second half with an early chance when Lucas Dawson was slotted in by Mahon but he failed to test Shwan Jalal as his left footed shot was fired low and wide.

    The Seals started to gain some momentum after Paul Turnball found Kingsley James with a beautifully executed pass with the outside of his boot which saw James dance through the Macclesfield defence however, his shot was fired straight at Jalal and eventually cleared for a corner.

    Some neat play followed from Chester with a string of passes eventually finding Dawson with a lofted ball but his header failed to hit the mark and went well wide.

    However, it was Macclesfield who capitalised and delivered a hard-hitting blow to the Blues in the 62nd minute as Durrell’s corner was met by Kieran Kennedy whose header doubled the Silkmen’s lead and send the travelling supporters into ecstasy.

    Macclesfield almost found a third when Durrell’s brilliant lobbed pass found Marsh who was again left unmarked but fired a glorious chance wide which would have seen the game out of sight for the Blues.

    Chester had another opportunity go begging when Mahon was found free and twisted and turned to fire his shot over as the game began to slip away from the Blues grasp.

    The best chance for the Blues finally came when Kingsley James was found free in the box and a superb first touch was brought down but his shot was fired into the Harry McNally Terrace.

    The highlight for the home fans came on 88th minute as youth-team graduate and Blacon local Tom Crawford was thrown straight into the action as the 18-year-old was given the tough task of getting something from the game on his debut for the Blues.

    Time was running out for Chester when Lucas Dawson delivered an inch perfect free kick as his cross met the head of Kingsley James whose header was fired agonisingly wide.

    Jon McCarthy’s side continue without a home win as they move on to an away trip to Torquay at the weekend.

    Chester: Lynch, Halls, McCombe, Astles, Rowe-Turner, Turnbull (Crawford 88), James, Joyce (Waters 64), Mahon, Chapell (Akintunde 64), Dawson.

    Subs not used: Davies, Shaw.

    Attendance: 2,363

    Referee: Peter Wright

    Match Report by Josh Kerr.

    Photos courtesy of Duncan Cowley.