Chester 2-0 Bishop’s Stortford

    Calum McIntyre’s men got back on track after picking up a vital win over Bishop’s Stortford to end a run of three defeats from four games.

    The first huge chance fell to the visitors as a mix up at the back left Wyll Stanway out of position.

    Kane Crichlow looked as if he had to score but he skied over the empty net, an early scare for Chester.

    Kevin Roberts then had a golden opportunity to put the Seals ahead after Kole Hall set the defender up with a knock down from a corner, the final effort though was saved well by Jack Giddens.

    With just five minutes left of the half a clever corner routine gave Kole Hall the opportunity to strike but his shot was palmed onto the post.

    The ball then fell to Reece Daly on the edge but his well struck effort flew narrowly over the bar.

    It was by far the closest either team had come in the first half, but just moments later Hall had another fantastic chance but unfortunately his low shot was comfortably saved by Giddens.

    The second half began exactly as the first finished, with pressure being mounted on the away goal.

    George Glendon had the first after good work from Okeke and Hall but his low shot was once again comfortable for Giddens.

    The pressure paid off for the captain almost immediately after as he fired home from six yards out after work from Weeks and Hall.

    It was the least that Calum McIntyre’s men deserved after a dominant first half display.

    Unbelievably, the visitors came within inches of equalising with twenty minutes left.

    A Roberts error handed the ball to Jack Thomas on the edge of the box before he curled an effort that hit the inside of the post before slowly rolling back into the safe hands of Stanway.

    The visitors did continue to apply some pressure following the big chance, with Kane Crichlow and Thomas being the main threats without troubling Stanway.

    Christian Norton had a brilliant chance to grab a two goal cushion in the late stages after latching onto a fantastic cross from Taylor, unfortunately his header was well saved.

    Giddens came up from the away goal to try and attack a free kick in the final minute of added time but the cross was cleared leaving Norton the simple task of running the length of the pitch and sliding the ball into an empty net.

    It was a superb display from Chester as Calum McIntyre’s men move up to fourth ahead of a tough fixture on Tuesday at Chorley.

    By Tom Bird.


    Chester: Stanway, Okeke, Roberts, Williams, Burke, Taylor, Whitehouse, Daly (Norton 75), Weeks, Glendon, Hall (Caton 61).

    Subs Not Used: Woodthorpe, Heywood, Clarke.

    Scorers: Glendon 54, Norton 90+6.

    Attendance: 1,988.