Chester 2-1 Nantwich Town

    Chester advanced in the Emirates FA Cup with a dramatic late winner against Nantwich Town.

    Harrison Burke nodded home the opener, before Dabbers sub Connor Heath levelled late on.

    However, the Blues’ never say die attitude saw Charlie Caton smash home the winner in the fourth minute of stoppage time.

    There were four changes from Boston, as starts were handed to Burke, George Glendon, Frankie Maguire and Connor Evans.

    Liam Edwards served his one-match suspension, while Charlie Caton and Adam Thomas dropped to the bench. Iwan Murray missed out due to injury.

    It was a quiet opening 45 in the pouring rain at the Leap76 Stadium – with chances limited.

    Chester had the first real opening after a quarter of an hour, a nice move ended with Elliott Whitehouse feeding Tom Sparrow who saw his low shot pouched by Scott Moloney.

    The visitors went close just after the half hour mark as Steven Hewitt fired just wide from range for Paul Carden’s side.

    Moments later, former Nantwich man and Chester loanee Evans drove forward and the ball dropped to Glendon who saw his effort take a wicked deflection and spin just wide with Moloney rooted to the spot.

    Just after the break the Dabbers went close again, as Patrick Kay fired just wide after Hewitt failed to get his shot away initially.

    Chester then started to apply the pressure as the game advanced, with a Kieran Coates cross just failing to find a Whitehouse touch – before Thomas was denied by Moloney.

    Then Kev Roberts came close, seeing his left footed strike from the edge tipped behind by the Dabbers ‘keeper.

    The opener arrived with a quarter of an hour to play as Weeks’ corner was powered home by the head of Burke in front of the Harry Mac.

    However, the tie was far from done and the visitors hit back with six minutes to go as a clipped cross into the box from Ahmed Ali was finished by the substitute Heath.

    He then nearly won it moments later inside the box but was foiled by the legs of Stanway.

    It proved to be a crucial moment as, in the fourth minute of stoppage time, a scramble from a Weeks corner ensued and ended with Caton taking a touch and smashing home to send Calum McIntyre’s side through.


    Chester: Stanway, Sparrow (Coates 57), Burke, Williams, Taylor, Roberts, Glendon, Weeks, Whitehouse, Maguire (Caton 67), Evans (Thomas 46).

    Subs Not Used: Davies, Daly, Heywood.

    Scorers: Burke 76, Caton 90+4; Heath 83.

    Attendance: 2,162.