Chester 3-0 Gloucester City

    Chester won their first game of 2024 as they comfortably beat Gloucester City at the Leap76 stadium.

    It was an accomplished display from Calum McIntyre’s side; bouncing back in ruthless fashion after two consecutive 1-0 defeats to start off the New Year.

    It was a quiet affair for the majority of the opening half, with Chester dominating proceedings. Striker Tom Peers was imposing himself from the first whistle and nearly scored early on, but his effort glided just wide of the post after a quick exchange with skipper George Glendon.

    Iwan Murray was unfortunate to not open the scoring on the half hour mark following some intricate football from the Seals. Peers and Glendon linked up again and it was the latter who played through Murray who managed to poke the ball goalbound only to be denied by Gloucester goalkeeper Zach Jeacock.

    On the stroke of half time Chester made their pressure pay and this time Murray made no mistake. Following a well-rehearsed short corner routine the diminutive midfielder found himself on the edge of the box, being picked out by Declan Weeks. The Seals’ number 20 confidently drilled an effort which flew past Jeacock – perhaps a sense of Deja Vu for Chester fans as Murray scored in this exact same fixture last season.

    The home side started the second half with a spring in their step, producing a flurry of chances. Glendon had two opportunities to double the lead but was thwarted by the Gloucester ‘keeper on the first occasion before creating a yard of space two minutes later only to drag his effort agonisingly wide of the post.

    But the frustration was only short lived as forward Tom Peers did seal his return with a goal and it was dispatched with aplomb. Initial credit goes to Elliott Whitehouse who smartly read the play and intercepted a loose pass from the away side defence. The midfielder gave the ball to Peers but there was still a lot of work to do. Peers opened up his body and buried the ball into the bottom right-hand corner to double the home side’s advantage only ten minutes after the restart.

    Sixty-two minutes on the clock and Calum McIntyre’s men put the game beyond any doubt. A marauding run from full back Kieran Coates resulted in a dangerous ball into the six-yard box. Peers managed to get a touch and inadvertently set up George Glendon, and the captain smashed the ball high into Jeacock’s net to compound the travelling fans’ misery.

    The remainder of the game was played with comfort and control by the Seals. A fourteenth clean sheet of the season for Wyll Stanway and this was arguably his easiest as an assured display ensured Gloucester were reduced to zero chances.

    Back to winning ways for Chester who climb back up to ninth, only a single point now separating them from the playoffs. Gloucester remains in the relegation spots and they are eight points away from safety.

    By Jude Deedigan


    Chester: Stanway, Coates, Roberts, Williams (Woodthorpe 82), Burke, Taylor, Whitehouse, Murray (Daly 87), Weeks, Glendon, Peers (Hall 68).

    Subs Not Used: Windsor, Norton.

    Scorers: Murray 45, Peers 55, Glendon 62.

    Attendance: 2,233 (34 away).