Chester 3-2 Peterborough Sports

    Chester came back from two goals down to secure victory against Peterborough Sports, their winner coming late on courtesy of 18-year-old Academy Graduate Reece Daly.

    Daly struck on 86 minutes to complete a comeback started by goals from Charlie Caton and Adam Thomas – wiping out the two early strikes for the Sports from Michael Gash and Josh McCammon.

    Calum McIntyre made three changes from last Saturday’s FA Cup win over Nantwich Town.

    Liam Edwards returned from suspension in place of Matty Williams, Reece Daly came in for Frankie Maguire, and Caton replaced Connor Evans – all three that came out dropping to the bench.

    Chester nearly took the lead inside five minutes as a loose ball dropped to Declan Weeks, his powerful effort from just inside the box was tipped over by the quick reactions of Peter Crook.

    But Peterborough Sports started to find their way into the game, and took the lead on 17 minutes when a cross from Matt Tootle on the left was headed in from close range by Player/Manager Gash.

    Chester continued to dominate the ball but the visitors struck with another sucker punch ten minutes later when a pass from Connor Johnson find McCammon in acres of space to drive and then fire into the bottom corner.

    But the Blues found their lifeline a few minutes later when Tom Sparrow’s low cross from the right dropped at the feet of Caton who poked home his fifth of the campaign.

    He almost levelled moments after when Weeks’ through ball found the number nine who was denied by the body of Crook.

    The Blues continued to push for their way back into the game and nearly drew level on 42 minutes when George Glendon’s deflected shot struck the crossbar and rebounded just beyond the onrushing Harrison Burke.

    Caton was then denied by Crook, before Daly’s shot was well blocked just before the half time whistle as the waves of Chester attacks carried on.

    And it was the sub Thomas who made it all square just six minutes off the bench as the pressure finally paid off.

    Glendon fed Caton who was denied yet again by Crook, but the forward was on hand to tap home the rebound and make it all square.

    The pressure continued. Caton looped a volley on to the roof of the net before Harrison Burke’s header from Weeks’ corner was scrambled off the line by a defender.

    At the other end the visitors nearly pinched the lead back as sub Hugh Alban-Jones capitalised on some slack defending, but he was denied by the foot of Stanway.

    Nevertheless, just moments after a goalmouth scramble from a Weeks corner, the stage was set for a new Harry Mac hero.

    Teenage midfielder Daly lined it up from the edge and rocketed a beauty into the top corner to seal a memorable comeback to make it four wins in five for the Blues.


    Chester: Stanway, Sparrow (Coates 58), Burke, Edwards, Taylor, Roberts, Glendon, Weeks, Whitehouse (Thomas 46), Daly (Williams 90+5), Caton.

    Subs Not Used: Evans, Maguire.

    Scorers: Caton 32, Thomas 51, Daly 86; Gash 17, McCammon 27.

    Attendance: 2,250.