Chorley 0-2 Chester

    A Tom Peers brace gave the Seals three crucial points away at Victory Park to make it three wins from four.

    After just five minutes the Yellows earned a dream start after Charlie Caton’s good work led to an error from Adam Henley.

    Caton then gifted the ball to Peers who had a simple finish to give Calum McIntyre’s men a crucial lead.

    The front two of Caton and Peers combined well once again just five minutes later, this time resulting in a corner which gifted Elliott Whitehouse a chance to double the lead but his effort was comfortably saved by Matt Urwin.

    The hosts rarely threatened in the opened stages other than a few Mark Ellis long throws which didn’t particularly trouble Wyll Stanway.

    The half-hour mark was brought up by multiple Chester corners, eventually leading to a Whitehouse effort which excellently saved by Urwin.

    Peers was a major threat all half and he grabbed his second goal of the game after 38 minutes to double the lead.

    The number seven combined brilliantly with Reece Daly before drilling an excellent low strike past Urwin in the home goal.

    It was a thoroughly professional first half performance from the Seals, restricting the hosts to very few opportunities and showing great fluidity and intent going forward, with Peers’ two moments of quality being the difference between the teams at the break.

    The Seals started the second period just as they did before the interval, with two great chances coming within five minutes of the restart.

    Nathan Woodthorpe put an enticing ball into the box which Daly latched onto but Urwin blocked for a corner.

    The resulting corner almost led to Chester’s third but Harrison Burke’s glanced effort flew narrowly past the far post.

    As the second half progressed Andy Preece’s side began to put the pressure on, with Ellis’ long throws becoming a regular feature.

    Billy Whitehouse almost grabbed a goal back when his looping effort was only just tipped over by Stanway, the first major scare for the Seals.

    The Magpies threw bodies at crosses and throw-ins with the wind causing havoc in the late stages, but defensively Chester were solid and gave nothing away all evening.

    Calum McIntyre’s side looked comfortable right up until the full time whistle, which was greeted with huge celebrations from the 303 travelling Chester fans, who will now look forward to a trip to King’s Lynn Town on Saturday.

    By Tom Bird.


    Chester: Stanway, Burke, Williams, Roberts (Heywood 90), Woodthorpe, Whitehouse, Weeks, Glendon, Daly (Taylor 62), Peers (Norton 90+4), Caton.

    Subs Not Used: Hall, Okeke.

    Scorers: Peers 5 & 38.

    Attendance: 1,231 (303 away).