FA TROPHY REPORT | Chester 1-2 Altrincham

    Chester were knocked out of the Buildbase FA Trophy at the Third Round stage, as Altrincham advanced with a narrow win.

    Joel Senior’s first half stoppage time stunner opened the scoring – before Anthony Dudley’s second goal of the week levelled the tie.

    However, Tom Peers scored at the end of a counter attack on 54 minutes to see Phil Parkinson’s side progress to Round Four.

    The first half was a fairly even and tactical affair – with both sides having spells of possession without creating many big chances.

    Chester made a bright start in the opening minute as John Johnston, playing against his former club, darted beyond Senior on the left wing and crossed – but Danny Elliott could only turn the ball wide of the far post.

    A matter of moments later, Blues Academy Graduate and Altrincham forward Peers missed a golden chance, missing the target from six yards out after good work by Yusifu Ceesay up against Kevin Roberts.

    Ceesay had a chance of his own just before the quarter of an hour mark, as a corner was headed down to his feet, however a crowd of bodies inside the box blocked his attempt.

    Brad Jackson would have a half chance just inside the area on 24 minutes when Roberts’ cross was headed out to him by Tom Hannigan – but the defender was quick to recover with a strong block from the resulting shot.

    Nevertheless, the National League side would open the scoring three minutes into first half stoppage time.

    Right back Joel Senior unleashed an unstoppable drive from 30 yards which flew beyond Louis Gray and into the top corner.

    The goals kept on coming as we entered the second half too. Just four minutes after the restart, Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley’s side were level.

    A corner was well recycled by the Blues outside the box, as Johnston found Dudley, and the number ten showed terrific skill to spin beyond one man before curling into the bottom corner beyond Tony Thompson from outside the box.

    But Altrincham had restored their lead within five minutes, as another Chester corner produced a goal – this time at the other end. Matty Kosylo broke at pace on the counter, brought the ball all the way into the Blues half, before assisting Peers who chipped a cute finish over Gray and into the net.

    Chester tried to press forward from that moment right up until full time. They went very close on the hour mark as Weeks’ deep inswinging corner found Danny Livesey – but his header was kept out by the body of Thompson.

    The Blues had plenty of possession as Alty dropped deep late on, but couldn’t conjure up a golden chance.

    Weeks fired over from range and Waring almost had an opportunity inside the box from Glendon’s deflected effort but couldn’t control. The Robins would hold on to go through.

    CHESTER: Gray, K Roberts (Askew 74), Livesey, Grand, Morgan, Johnston (Waring 77), Weeks, Glendon, Jackson, Dudley, Elliott (Goodwin 68).

    SUBS NOT USED: Clark, Lacey, Bauress, Marsh-Hughes.

    SCORERS: Dudley 49; Senior 45+3, Peers 54.