HAN0807 Charlie Caton

    Hanley Town 0-2 Chester

    Chester kicked off their pre-season schedule with a victory at Hanley Town this afternoon.

    Calum McIntyre used 17 players against Step Four opposition, which included two Trialists – one in each half – as well as Academy players Sol Forde and Adam Bott, the latter getting himself on the scoresheet.

    Hanley had a good early chance on five minutes but were denied by the impressive Wyll Stanway, who stood tall to make the save.

    At the other end, Ollie Heywood crossed for Adam Thomas, but his effort was tame and comfortable for the ‘keeper.

    There was a chance apiece to end the half, as Elliott Whitehouse first released new signing Zak Goodson – however he fired over after a promising charge into the area. Then Stanway made another excellent save before the break – using his foot to deny the Hanley forward who was through on goal.

    Six half time substitutions brought the Seals an opener on 57 minutes.

    Patient and skilful build up created the goal, starting with Joel Taylor down the left on his return, and ending with Declan Weeks supplying Charlie Caton to calmly find the bottom corner of the net.

    The same combination nearly doubled the lead one minute later as Weeks released the speed of Caton – but it took an impressive stop from the goalkeeper to deny him.

    Chester chances continued in an impressive second half showing – as first Iwan Murray was denied by the keeper after Caton had charged down a clearance – before Taylor forced the number one into a save from Weeks’ pass.

    Nevertheless, the win was sealed with six to play. Caton found Under-18 midfielder Bott who capped off an impressive senior debut with a cool finish to make it two.

    Chester: Stanway, Coates (Trialist B 46), Burke (Edwards 46), Trialist A (Taylor 46), Heywood, Bott, Daly, Whitehouse (Trialist C 46), Murray, Thomas (Weeks 46), Goodson (Caton 46).

    Scorers: Caton 57, Bott 84.

    Attendance: 376.

    Photos courtesy of Chas Sumner.