Joint Statement: Update following disorder at the Deva Stadium

    Following the disappointing end to last season we sadly saw a large amount of disorder here at the Deva Stadium. 

    This included a large number of fans invading the pitch and attempting to access the away stand. Smoke bombs and other items were also thrown towards opposition fans and a number of coaches parked outside the stadium were also damaged.

    In addition, a 55-year-old Chester fan was seriously assaulted by three fellow Chester supporters while in the toilets of block H. The man suffered a broken jaw as a result of the incident.

    Since the match Cheshire Police and Chester Football Club have been working closely to identify those responsible and ensure that they are held accountable for their actions.

    The Board of Chester Football Club said: “These events have been very damaging to Chester FC and it will take time for us to restore the reputation of the club.

    “This behaviour is not welcome and will not be tolerated. We are committed to working with Cheshire Police to ensure anyone involved is identified and dealt with.”

    Detective Inspector Ross Hamilton said: “While the vast majority of fans were well behaved following the match, there were a small minority who were intent on causing disorder and their behaviour was totally unacceptable.

    “Our investigation into the disorder has been ongoing since the match and we will be taking robust action against all those found to be involved, including possible banning orders.

    “As part of our investigation we are continuing to appeal for information and video footage from anyone who witnessed the disorder.  We’re also urging fans to visit the news section of the Cheshire Police website to see if they recognise any of the men in the CCTV images we have released.

    “Anyone with any information or footage should call us on 101 or visit, quoting IML 1539302.”

    A man has been banned from football matches for three years for invading the pitch and throwing a flare at last season’s game against Chorley at the Deva Stadium.

    Aidrian Callaghan, 34, of Oak Road, Chester, appeared in court last week where he was issued with a three-year Football Banning Order.
    The FBO means he is banned from attending any football match in the UK, and can be required to surrender his passport for when England play matches abroad.
    He is also prohibited from being in the boundary of the Deva Stadium, or from any Cheshire ground involving Chester FC, from two hours before a Chester FC match to two hours after the game ends, and for matches involving Chester FC outside of Cheshire, he is prohibited from being in that town or city from two hours before kick-off to two hours after the game ends.