MATCH REPORT | Blyth Spartans 2-2 Chester

    Chester battled hard this afternoon on a wet and windy day in the North East as they earned a point at Blyth Spartans – with all the goals coming in the first half.

    Danny Elliott and Matty Hughes were on the scoresheet – but goals from Michael Sweet and Adam Wrightson ensured it ended all square at the end.

    The Blues made two changes from last Saturday’s entertaining 2-2 draw at King’s Lynn Town.

    Top scorer Akwasi Asante missed out and was replaced by George Waring up top – with Danny Elliott replacing Anthony Dudley on the left side.

    It was one of those changes that made an instant impact on three minutes. Matty Hughes won a free kick right on the edge after being bundled over by Tom Devitt – with Elliott striking the free kick into the back of net via a hefty deflection.

    But just moments later, Lee Clark’s side were level as Lewis Hawkins was afforded time and space to clip a cross into the box – enabling Michael Sweet to nod into the corner for his first of the season.

    Then, on 23 minutes, the home side took the lead. Kevin Roberts was caught out by an excellent spin from Wrightson – the winger driving into the box and firing in at the near post via a deflection off Danny Livesey.

    Waring went close to connecting with an Elliott cross midway through the half – before he did connect with Brad Jackson’s cross but his header was clawed off the line by keeper Mark Foden.

    Winning their last two in the leagye, Blyth went in search of a third and almost got it when Taylor slipped at the back. Sweet was one-on-one with Griffiths and slipped it under the goalie, but Simon Grand was back to make an excellent block on the line.

    Grand’s brilliance looked even better just moments later – when the Blues got themselves level.

    George Glendon found Jackson on the right side of the area and the winger bagged his ninth assist of the season; squaring for Hughes to sweep it beyond Foden.

    Waring almost had Bern and Jonno’s side in front at the interval, but couldn’t sort his feet out in front of goal from Glendon’s cutback.

    Chester were given a big let off on 51 minutes after a slow start to the second half. Good interchange on the right allowed sub Robbie Dale in space inside the box, but Griffiths showed good reactions to save – before Wrightson stabbed the rebound against the side netting.

    It was the Blues turn to have a chance moments later. A clever ball inside from Glendon found the run of Gary Roberts – but the skipper blasted wide from 25 yards out.

    A mad game settled for 20 minutes or so, before Hughes missed a massive chance to put the Seals in front. Anthony Dudley, on as a sub, flicked it through for Hughes who rounded up Foden with ease but hit the post with the goal at his mercy.

    Blyth were next to test the woodwork. Brilliant work on the right from Dale ended with him clipping up to the back post, Hawkins nodding against the base of the post.

    Grand, Glendon and Taylor all couldn’t find a way through with a Craig Mahon penalty appeal also being waved away.

    Spartans sub Levi Amantchi almost won it in stoppage time with a charging run forward, but he couldn’t get his shot away and the Blues scrambled clear.

    CHESTER: Griffiths, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Taylor, Jackson, G Roberts, Glendon, Elliott (Mahon 65), Hughes, Waring (Dudley 67).

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Waters, Stopforth.

    SCORERS: Sweet 6, Wrightson 23; Elliott 3, Hughes 40.

    ATTENDANCE: 869.