MATCH REPORT | Chester 0-1 Peterborough Sports

    Chester succumbed to defeat at the hands to Peterborough Sports on a disappointing night at the Deva Stadium.

    The big moment of the game came in first half stoppage time as referee Liam Corbett adjudged Blues’ captain Declan Weeks to have handled inside the penalty area. Josh McCammon took the resulting spot kick and sent Harry Tyrer the wrong way for the only goal of the game.

    Chester made four changes from the side that drew at Leamington on Saturday as Lewis Earl, Alex Brown, Rhys Hughes and Adam Thomas replaced Kevin Roberts, Ollie Heywood, Anthony Dudley and Charlie Caton.

    The opening chance of the game fell to Blues forward Kurt Willoughby as he was picked out by Declan Weeks, but from the edge of the penalty area Willoughby’s effort was blocked.

    Chester kept looking for an opening and created a couple of half-chances as first Matty Williams headed goalwards with Peter Crook making a comfortable save then Willoughby wasn’t able to get his header on target.

    After a quiet half for either side the visitors were given a golden opportunity to take the lead in first half stoppage time as referee Liam Corbett awarded a penalty for a handball against Weeks. McCammon stepped up and sent Tyrer the wrong way, giving Peterborough the lead at the half, with the half time whistle going to a chorus of boos.

    The Blues started the second half with a renewed vigour in the pouring rain and forced a save from Peter Crook inside the opening five minutes of the half as Iwan Murray’s cross broke to Willoughby, but the defender did enough to take the sting off his snap-shot for the ‘keeper to gather.

    Peterborough Sports were happy for the Blues to control possession around the half-way line but made it difficult as they looked to move the ball forward however on the hour they managed to break through as Weeks found Murray who in turn played in Thomas but his cross was headed behind by the Peterborough defence.

    Midway through the second half and the hosts were starting to gain a bit of momentum, first Hughes firing from the edge of the penalty area just over the crossbar. Shortly after a corner broke to Weeks but his effort was denied by a number of Peterborough defenders.

    Another chance came as time started to tick away from the Blues as the ball was played to Willoughby on the edge of the penalty area but he lost his footing as striking and Crook got down well to make the save.

    Peterborough had the perfect opportunity to put the game to bed in second half stoppage time as they launched an excellent counter-attack but substitute Dan Jarvis failed to apply the finishing touch, instead firing a tame shot straight at Tyrer. In the end it didn’t matter though as Peterborough were able to see out the remaining minutes and take all three points back with them.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Burke (Kenyon 45+3), Williams, Brown, Earl (Dudley 69), Weeks, Hughes, Murray (Stephenson 82), Thomas, Willoughby.

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Lynch.

    SCORERS: McCammon (pen) 45+2.

    ATTENDANCE: 2,203.