MATCH REPORT | Chester 1-1 AFC Telford

    Chester left it late to rescue a point against nine man AFC Telford on New Year’s Day.

    The visitors went ahead midway through the first half as Harry Flowers’ shot from the edge of the penalty area deflected beyond Harry Tyrer, before Montel Gibson was shown a straight red card as a stray arm caught Alex Brown in the face.

    Adam Senior was then shown two yellow cards in the space of ten seconds at a Telford throw-in for exchanging words with the referee. That set it up for substitute Joe Lynch’s injury time equaliser, with neither side able to find a winner.

    Chester made one change from the side that drew at Telford on Boxing Day as Danny Devine dropped to the bench and Iwan Murray coming into the starting line-up.

    The Blues started brightly, creating a number of half chances with Willoughby at the heart of them, inches away from applying a close range finish before firing an effort from a corner inches wide.

    Telford were moving the ball round well but struggled to create clear-cut chances in the opening fifteen minutes, as it was Chester were the side testing visiting goalkeeper, Luke Pilling as Iwan Murray fired from range but Pilling was able to comfortably gather.

    Next up it was marauding full-back Alex Brown’s turn as he got the ball on the edge of the Telford penalty area and fired just over the crossbar.

    Nevertheless it was the visitors who struck first as the Blues failed to deal with a Brendon Daniels free kick and the ball broke to centre half Flowers on the edge of the penalty area, and his effort deflected beyond Tyrer.

    Chester looked for a quick response as Kole Hall broke free but was brought down by Liam Nolan, Kurt Willoughby stepped up to take the free kick and fired his free kick just wide. After that Telford defended well and ensured they held a one-nil lead at the break.

    The hosts almost made the perfect start to the second half, forcing a corner that broke to Williams at close range but Telford managed to scramble the ball away.

    Another chance for the Blues as Hall drove forward, exchanging passes with Willoughby, before Pilling was out quickly to smother his effort.

    In the sixty-fifth minute the visitors’ job got even more difficult as Gibson was shown a straight red card after a stray arm caught Brown in the face, reducing Telford to ten men.

    With three minutes of regular time remaining they had a second man sent off as Adam Senior was shown two yellow cards in a minute following a discussion with Referee Dane McCarrick.

    Chester made the advantage count as with two of seven minutes of stoppage time played the ball broke to Lynch and his shot was deflected over Pilling and into the back of the net.

    Telford almost struck on the counter attack as Nate Blissett set up Daniels but Tyrer was in place to push the ball away. In the end the two sides had to settle for a share of the spoils as the referee blew for full time.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Morgan (Thomas 73), Williams, Edwards (Kenyon 43), Brown, Roberts, Weeks (c), Murray (Lynch 61), Hall, Caton, Willoughby.

    SUBS NOT USED: Devine, Earl.

    SCORERS: Lynch 90+2; Flowers 27.

    ATTENDANCE: 3,007.