MATCH REPORT | Chester 2-0 Brackley Town

    Chester produced an excellent showing to see off Brackley in the sweltering sun.

    Two superb first half goals were enough for McIntyre’s Blues to take all three points in the thirty three degree heat.

    Kole Hall opened the scoring, rolling his defender before sliding the ball under Danny Lewis, before Kurt Willoughby’s fine finish into the bottom corner secured the three points.

    The Blues made four changes from the side that was pegged back at the death at Alfreton a week earlier as Adam Thomas, Kevin Roberts, Joe Lynch and Ollie Heywood were all replaced by Lewis Coulton, Anthony Dudley, Danny Devine and Kieran Coates.

    Chester started the game really brightly, passing the ball quickly and looking dangerous. The opening chance of the game fell to the hosts as Willoughby’s free kick went under the wall but was saved well by Lewis, diving low to his left.

    With twelve minutes gone the Blues hit the front through the brilliance of Hall. The forward rolled the Brackley centre half and burst through the middle before coolly finishing underneath the ‘keeper.

    Brackley were struggling to cope with the pressure from the Seals and, as the hosts worked the ball forwards gaps opened up at the back, with Dudley finding a wide open Willoughby, who finished beautifully into the bottom corner.

    Brackley picked up after the scheduled drinks break, midway through the first half, but it wasn’t until the thirty seventh minute that they created their first chance, with former Blue Shep Murombedzi firing from range but Harry Tyrer was across quickly to make the save.

    Chester almost extended their lead just before half time as Willoughby did superbly to win a header between two Brackley defenders, Dudley returned the pass to Willoughby who curled an effort just wide. Two minutes later and Declan Weeks picked out Danny Devine who struck from range but Lewis was equal to it.

    The end of the first half was all Chester as they went close yet again, this time Willoughby picked out Devine, who laid it off to Weeks, but his deflected effort was well saved by a scrambling Lewis.

    Chester started the second half on the front foot but had to be alert as Brackley found a way in at the back as Callum Stead dispossessed Burke, but Matty Williams was alert to the danger and managed to block the Brackley frontman’s effort.

    The visitors were still trying to find a way back into the game and went close again as Murombedzi cut in from the left and fired low, but just off target.

    The Blues were still searching for a third in the baking heat and almost won a penalty as Hall was brought down clumsily in the penalty area but referee Richard Holmes waved appeals away.

    In the end it didn’t matter though as Chester’s first win of the season was secured to the jubilation of the Blues fans.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coulton (Heywood 45), Weeks, Burke, Kenyon, Willoughby, Dudley (Stephenson 59), Devine, Williams, Coates, Hall (Thomas 87).

    SUBS NOT USED: Stanway, Murray.

    SCORERS: Hall 12, Willoughby 17.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,633.