MATCH REPORT | Colne 2-1 Chester

    Game five of a busy pre-season schdule for the Blues saw them fall to defeat this afternoon at Colne.

    A goal in each half from Sefton Gonzales and Tony Donaldson secured the win in a good pre-season workout for both sides. Anthony Dudley added from the penalty spot for the Blues with the last kick of the game.

    Following some heavy rain Saturday morning, the sun shone through as the game got underway. The home side, attacking down the hill and with a wind advantage, showed the early promise.

    It was former Blue Aidan Chippendale who went close first. The left sided player had time and space just inside the box but wasted his chance – dragging the ball wide of Russ Griffiths’ goal.

    Chester did have their chances in the first half, with centre backs Danny Livesey and Simon Grand both firing over following set pieces, and Dudley being denied what appeared to be a stonewall penalty by the referee.

    But the home side went in front. On 38 minutes, striker Sefton Gonzales brilliantly steered his header into the bottom corner to give the Northern Premier Division One North side an interval lead.

    Bern and Jonno’s side went in search of a leveller, and piled on the pressure as the second half got underway. From the whistle, Danny Elliott fired an effort just the wrong side of the post – before a Dudley header was tipped over the bar. Livesey also came within inches of turning a ball home which was lashed across the six yard box.

    However, on 56 minutes and against the run of play in the second half, the hosts doubled their lead. The Blues failed to clear their lines following a ball in fron the left – and Tony Donaldson stabbed home from 10 yards via the underside of the crossbar.

    Chester continued to pile on pressure without reward. Livesey struck the bar with a header, before Jamie Morgan also hit the woodwork after meeting a clever Gary Stopforth pass – the midfielder playing against his former club.

    Sub Joel Taylor, returning from injury, put in an impressive 20 minute stint off the bench. He nearly reduced the arrears with a thunderous drive from distance which whistled just over the bar.

    Dudley then did get a penalty in stoppage time, and the forward dusted himself off the buried the spot kick before the final whistle sounded.