MATCH REPORT | Kettering Town 1-1 Chester

    Chester remainded unbeaten after four National League North matches, with yet another late goal rescuing a point.

    Back from injury, Akwasi Asante did the neccessaries from the spot in stoppage time after Matty Hughes was fouled in the box.

    The opening 45 minutes was a pretty drab affair, a scrappy but even game with little in the way of chances.

    It took over a quarter of an hour for the first half chance to arrive, as the unchanged Blues looked to get in front. Simon Grand’s flick on found Anthony Dudley with a bit of space inside the box – but the forward rifled his volley over the bar.

    Captain Gary Roberts stabbed over the bar from the edge of the box less than ten minutes later – after a dangerous Joel Taylor cross was headed out to the midfielder.

    Bookings to both number nine’s in Daniel Nti and George Waring were evidence of a scrappy and physical encounter in the National League North.

    The second half sprung to life in the last 20 minutes of this match. Kettering took the lead on 70 minutes when Chester conceded their third own goal in four matches. Gary Roberts turned Meikle’s cross into his own net past Russ Griffiths.

    Just after 75 minute mark, it should have been game over. After Russ Griffiths made a great stop to deny Marcus Kelly – before Gary Stopforth bundled over Nti in the box. The striker dusted himself off and struck the post with the penalty.

    Then came a red card moments later. An off the ball incident saw Kelly shown his second yellow card.

    In stoppage time, there was still more drama as Chester once again scored a late goal. Hughes was bundled over and Asante converted from the spot in a dramatic finale.

    CHESTER FC: Griffiths, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Taylor, Jackson, G Roberts, Stopforth, Mahon (Hughes 63), Dudley (Asante 73), Waring (Elliott 63).

    SUBS NOT USED: Burton, Waters.

    SCORERS: G Roberts (OG) 70; Asante (pen) 90+3.

    ATTENDANCE: 971.