MATCH REPORT | Chester 2-2 Scarborough Athletic

    A thrilling game in front of a bumper crowd ended in a draw as between Chester and Scarborough.

    Chester got off to the perfect start as Kurt Willoughby fired them ahead with just fourteen minutes on the clock. Both sides had plenty of chances but it wasn’t until the 76th minute that Scarborough equalised as Kieran Weledji cut inside and found the bottom corner.

    The Blues retook the lead with just three minutes of normal time remaining as Charlie Caton’s effort beat Joe Cracknell but in the end the Seadogs forced a point as a deflected Will Thornton effort just snuck beyond the dive of Harry Tyrer deep into stoppage time.

    Manager Calum McIntyre made three changes from the side that lost one-nil at home to Peterborough Sports during the week as Alex Kenyon, Anthony Dudley and Charlie Caton all came into the starting line-up replacing Harrison Burke, Iwan Murray and Rhys Hughes, who was recalled by parent club, Tranmere Rovers.

    It was the visitors who forced the opening chance of the game as captain Michael Coulson flicked the ball to Luca Colville, who tried to lift the ball over Tyrer, but the Chester ‘keeper was back to make the save.

    The Seals were getting the ball into good areas but struggled to test Cracknell in the opening exchanges. Nevertheless, that all changed in the fourteenth minute though as Weeks’ low corner was met by Willoughby, who rifled an effort into the top corner at the second attempt, for his twenty-sixth goal of the season.

    Both sides were looking to play good football but it was the hosts that looked full of confidence, Kieran Coates getting some space down the right side and picking out Caton with a good cross, but the on-loan Shrewsbury man couldn’t get his header on target.

    Dudley almost added a second as he intercepted a ball out from the back and drove forward but as he unleashed his effort a Scarborough defender was back well to make the block.

    The visitors looked dangerous as they went forward and almost found an equaliser as a free kick was headed into the six yard box but Lewis Earl was back to make a crucial intervention.

    As half time was approaching the visitors were really pushing for the equaliser as a cross Kieran Weledji on the right was headed goalwards by Gooda but Kenyon was back well to clear the ball off the line and ensure the Blues led at the break.

    Scarborough started the second half brightly and almost found an equaliser with a brilliant Thornton effort but Tyrer was on hand to make an even better save, pushing the ball away.

    This was a really entertaining game of football as back came Chester came forward again and the ball broke to Adam Thomas, who was denied by the feet of Cracknell, Scarborough then launched a counter attack and it took a huge block from Matty Williams to deny them.

    Two minutes later and Chester pushed on again and were inches away from doubling their lead as Willoughby squared the ball for Caton, who saw his effort blocked on the line with huge appeals for a handball waved away before the ball was scrambled clear.

    Another chance came the Blues’ way a minute later as Willoughby stood over a long range free kick, which dipped but was just over the crossbar.

    Scarborough were next to come forward as Weledji picked out substitute Jake Charles in the penalty area but Kenyon made a huge block before the ball was fired back towards goal but Kenyon was on hand to clear it again.

    The visitors found the equaliser with a quarter of an hour to go as Kieran Weledji cut in from the right and curled an effort into the bottom corner, giving Tyrer no chance.

    Chester looked to go back ahead as they won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area, Weeks took it but fired just over the crossbar.

    With three minutes left of the ninety the Blues managed to take the lead. Sub Darren Stephenson did well down the left before cutting back to Caton, who fired beyond Cracknell, taking a deflection on the way.

    Scarborough weren’t done yet though and after getting a series of long throws one was flicked on and a scramble led to Thornton’s effort being deflected beyond Tyrer for the equaliser and to earn them a point.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Williams, Kenyon, Brown, Earl, Weeks, Thomas (Murray 69), Caton, Dudley (Stephenson 81), Willoughby.

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Lynch, Nmai.

    SCORERS: Willoughby 14, Caton 87; Weledji 76, Thornton 90+3.

    ATTENDANCE: 2,900.