NLN REPORT | Chester 1-2 Chorley

    Chester fell to home defeat in their last match of 2020, as Chorley stretched their unbeaten run to nine games with victory at the Deva Stadium.

    All the goals occurred in the first half, as Ollie Shenton’s strike and Connor Hall’s penalty gave the visitors the points. Anthony Dudley’s sixth of the season – in his 100th game for the club – had initially levelled the score.

    It was the ever lively Dudley who had the first chance of the game on six minutes.

    He started the move with a sweeping ball out to John Johnston on the right, the winger returned the ball with an excellent cross but the forward missed the target.

    Moments later, the Blues defence had to be alert to stop Hall’s shot inside the area – Josh Askew getting around to take the sting out of the shot enabling Louis Gray to gather.

    The chances continued to come at either end, as Johnston drilled a low shot straight at Urwin – before Askew headed off the line from Harvey Smith’s glancing header from a Willem Tomlinson corner.

    Nevertheless, a matter of seconds later, Chorley were in front. Andy Owens’ long throw caused problems, and Ollie Shenton was on hand to rocket the loose ball into the net.

    But, just like Boxing Day, Chester were quick to respond. It was that man Dudley with his 5th goal in December, sliding it beyond Urwin after a great control and through ball by Danny Elliott.

    The lively half ended with another goal in stoppage time. A fortunate deflected effort from Smith landed in Hall’s path, and Simon Grand stuck his leg out and brought the attacker down.

    Hall dusted himself off and smashed the penalty down the middle to give Jamie Vermiglio’s side a half time advantage.

    Chester pressed on in search of the equaliser in the second half, and were denied when Askew made a burst into the box and looked to be through – but for Arlen Birch’s excellent last ditch challenge.

    Hall had an effort pushed away at the other end by Gray, before the impressive Johnston nearly scored a wonderful solo goal on 65 minutes.

    The winger drove forward and carried the ball through Chorley’s half, nutmegged Scott Leather, however he failed to find the target just inside the box.

    Johnston was almost then the provider just five minutes later. His cross from the right was met at the near post by Elliott, but the Blues top scorer headed over.

    Bern and Jonno’s side pushed on but struggled to create their late opportunity, with Declan Weeks volleying over inside the seven minutes of stoppage time, as they failed to break down a stubborn Magpies defence.

    CHESTER: Gray, Morgan (Taylor 84), Livesey, Grand, Askew, Johnston, Glendon, Weeks, Bauress (Goodwin 71), Dudley, Elliott (Waring 71).

    SUBS NOT USED: Clark, Roberts.

    SCORERS: Dudley 35; Shenton 25, Hall (pen) 45+4.