NLN REPORT | Chester 3-0 Alfreton Town

    Chester got back to winning ways with a much-needed clean sheet and victory this evening at the Deva Stadium.

    Danny Elliott’s spot kick gave the Blues the advantage in the first half – before second half strikes from Jamie Morgan and Anthony Dudley sealed the victory.

    After a quiet start on a cold night at the Deva, Alfreton had the first chance inside the opening ten minutes.

    Blues ‘keeper Louis Gray left his area to clear a loose ball, but only kicked as far as Nicky Walker – the Reds midfielder saw his effort drop just wide of the post with Gray stranded.

    Counter attacking from a Reds corner, the Blues had their chance to take the lead on 20 minutes.

    Elliott’s low left footed shot was blocked by Josh Clackstone, and Referee Michael Crusham adjudged he had done so with his arm – pointing to the spot.

    Chester’s top scorer won the penalty – and took it – slotting home with confidence for his sixth of the campaign.

    Billy Heath’s side moved the ball about nicely in the opening 45 without creating too many big chances. At the end of neat build up, Walker dragged his effort wide of the post.

    Danny Livesey almost doubled the Seals’ lead in first half stoppage time, heading towards the bottom corner from a Brad Bauress delivery, but George Willis did well to claw the ball wide of the post.

    Will Goodwin nearly marked his first senior Blues start with a goal moments into the second half, as Elliott’s deflected effort fell kindly into his path, but the 18-year-old sliced wide. Five minutes later, John Johnston almost opened his Chester account at the end of a flowing move – but Willis made a superb reaction stop to deny him.

    This started a passage of play where Alfreton struck the crossbar through Dan Bradley, fired inches over through Danny Clarke, and Conor Branson smashed an effort against the post all in a matter of moments.

    Fortunately, the Blues rode the storm and doubled the advantage on 62 minutes.

    Neat interchange on the right involving Johnson and Elliott ended with full-back Morgan darting infield and sending a cool sidefooted shot into the far bottom corner for his second of the campaign.

    That goal just seemed to take the sting out of the encounter and the Blues looked comfortable. They had half chances to extend the lead through Livesey and Bauress, and then Johnston almost scored again on 84 minutes with some neat skill before volleying just wide.

    Nevertheless, two became three late on as Dudley made a huge impact off the bench.

    Just seconds after being introduced as a sub, the Blues forward strode on to a through ball from Elliott – glided inside of Fox – and found the bottom corner to secure an excellent win.

    CHESTER: Gray, Morgan, Livesey, Grand, Taylor, Johnston (Dudley 87), Glendon, Weeks, Bauress (Waring 86), Goodwin (Lacey 79), Elliott.

    SUBS NOT USED: K Roberts, G Roberts.

    SCORERS: Elliott (pen) 20, Morgan 62, Dudley 88.