NLN REPORT | Chester 3-2 Leamington

    Chester made it two wins from two to start the National League North season with a narrow win over Leamington this afternoon.

    Danny Elliott was at the double, with Brad Bauress scoring his maiden Blues goal at the Deva Stadium.

    Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley made one change from Tuesday’s win at Kidderminster – with forward George Waring coming into the side in place of Paddy Lacey.

    But it was the hosts who made a bright start to this one and took the lead inside the opening ten. Steph Morley’s cross from the left was turned home at the near post by Junior English to give the visitors their first goal of the new campaign.

    The Brakes could easily have made it two five minutes later – as Josh Martin’s rifled cross from the right found the unmarked Sam Osborne – but he volleyed over. This was moments after George Waring had the ball in the net but the Referee gave a free kick as the forward fouled goalkeeper Jake Weaver.

    Nevertheless, Bern and Jonno’s side put a poor opening quarter of an hour behind them and had the game turned around to lead by half time.

    On 24 minutes, Elliott rose well to Kev Roberts’ inch perfect cross to nod the Blues level after quick thinking by John Johnston from a throw in.

    Then Bauress had his first Chester goal. Again it was Roberts providing the assist, another positive run down the right and a delivery that enabled the new signing to steer the ball beyond Weaver.

    Whilst the game didn’t see too many chances as the second half ticked along – just before the hour mark the home side had their chance to give themselves some breathing space. Roberts was positive again in darting into the box, winning a penalty when he was tripped by Steph Morley.

    Elliott stepped up and confidently dispatched for his third goal in two league appearances.

    But Leamington are a side that the Blues were yet to defeat in four attempts in the past two years, and they refused to lie down. Connor Taylor’s streaky cross struck Louis Gray’s near post – before at the other end Waring headed just wide from Joel Taylor’s superb angled delivery.

    Paul Holleran’s side did reduce the arrears with twelve to play though. Subs combined as Lance Smith rode two challenges before playing a lovely ball in behind for Dan Meredith, who rounded Gray and scored.

    The visitors felt harshly done by when Kaiman Anderson went down in the box, but Matthew Scholes waved away penalty appeals – before Danny Waldron blasted over a glorious chance in the final minute of the game. The Blues had clung on for the three points.

    CHESTER FC: Gray, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Taylor, Johnston, Glendon, Weeks, Bauress (Dudley 77), Waring (Marsh-Hughes 90+2), Elliott (G Roberts 83).

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Hughes.

    SCORERS: Elliott 24 & 57, Bauress 36; English 9, Meredith 76.

    REFEREE: Matthew Scholes.