NLN REPORT | Chester 5-3 Hereford

    Chester won a thriller at the Deva this evening, as fans returned to the stadium to witness a fantastic win in a crazy affair.

    John Johnston got off the mark for the Blues on a night where Bern and Jonno’s side battled back from two down to earn a huge three points and climb the table once again.

    In the torrential wind and rain, Hereford’s Kyle Finn tried his luck from range on two occasions in the opening five minutes, but was off target on both occasions.

    Will Goodwin and Brad Bauress would both hit the target with efforts following this, however Paul White had a comfortable gather from the former’s volley and the latter’s free kick.

    Hereford then took the lead on 22 minutes as Lenell John-Lewis beat the offside trap and squared for Tom Owen-Evans to fire his shot into the roof of the net from close range.

    Declan Weeks almost responded as he found space on the edge but fired wide – before Owen-Evans made it a brace seven minutes before the break. Dan Jones’ cross was headed into the forwards path by Jamie Morgan’s defensive header, and he made no mistake to beat Louis Gray.

    But the lively Weeks halved the deficit just before the break – smashing a 25-yard thunderbolt beyond White.

    And Chester’s momentum saw them fly out of the traps in the second 45, scoring three goals and turning the game on its head by the hour mark.

    First, Goodwin’s header on goal was spilled by White, enabling Danny Elliott to bundle home his 7th goal of the campaign and level the scores.

    Just three minutes later and the Blues led. Again White was the Bulls’ downfall, as Weeks’ excellent inswinging corner was punched into his own net by the keeper.

    But Josh Gowling’s side wouldn’t give up hope and went close to levelling twice following this. First, John-Lewis spun from 25 yards and saw his dipping effort strike the crossbar – before moments later sub Chris Camwell’s angled volley from a similar distance was brilliantly clawed away by the diving Gray.

    The save proved crucial, as John Johnston then opened his Chester account with a beauty on 62 minutes. The 26-year-old received a pass from Brad Bauress on the edge before smashing a rocket into the top corner.

    This wild affair continued to swing, and it was Hereford’s turn to attempt to stage a fightback – making it 4-3 just eleven minutes later when James McQuilkin’s dangerous corner into the box found the head of Kennedy Digie.

    An end-to-end encounter continued to produce chances at either end. First, Bauress whipped a corner against the post with White stranded, before Gray produced another world class stop to tip over Finn’s deflected effort.

    However, the points were safe for Chester with five minutes to go. George Glendon’s pinpoint free kick into the area was turned in at the back post by Danny Livesey to move the Blues up to fifth in the National League North standings.

    CHESTER: Gray, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Morgan, Johnston (Waring 84), Weeks, Glendon, Bauress (Lacey 84), Goodwin (Dudley 74), Elliott.

    SUBS NOT USED: G Roberts, Hughes.

    SCORERS: Weeks 44, Elliott 49, White (OG) 52, Johnston 62, Livesey 85; Owen-Evans 22 & 38, Digie 73.