NLN REPORT | Spennymoor Town 2-1 Chester

    For the second season in succession, Chester conceded a late goal to lose at Brewery Field despite a strong performance against Spennymoor.

    Danny Livesey’s strike had given the Blues the advantage, before Glen Taylor’s free kick had levelled it up. A scrappy goal in the 90th minute gave the Moors the three points though, with the last touch appearing the come off a Chester defender.

    It was the hosts who had the first opportunity of the game as Taylor’s pass held up nicely for Mark Anderson to shoot from a tight angle, but Louis Gray made the stop before Kevin Roberts completed the clearance.

    But it was Chester who hit the front with their first chance of the game. A well worked set piece saw John Johnston’s deep corner headed back across the six yard box by Simon Grand – and Livesey turned home his third of the season.

    Spennymoor’s response was a positive one, and they went close on numerous occasions. Scott McLean’s low effort on the edge of the box was deflected just wide – before moments later Jamie Spencer struck the post with a low shot at the end of a flowing move.

    Nevertheless, the pressure did pay off for Jason Ainsley’s side on 34 minutes as Taylor’s blasted free kick from 20 yards found its way past Gray.

    Chester had a huge chance to get back in front on 52 minutes, but Dale Eve made a super reaction save to stop Johnston’s low drive inside the box after George Glendon had slipped him through.

    Johnston almost had another chance moments later as the ball sat up nicely for him to volley 25 yards from goal, however the effort was off target. Taylor then sidefooted wide for the Moors on the hour mark after a sweeping pass from Rob Ramshaw had found the forward.

    Then it was the Seals’ turn to attack in a promising spell.

    It started when Roberts low drive was stopped low by Eve before a good opening moments later – as Johnston fired a dangerous ball across the six yard box which was turned over by Morgan with Elliott and Roberts both stretching to turn it home.

    Skipper Glendon almost created a chance for Elliott on 74 minutes, but the frontman couldn’t quite keep his feet and his effort was eventually blocked by McLean.

    Two more opportunities would come and go, as first Johnston skipped beyond Blakeman with a superb first touch from Declan Weeks’ pinpoint pass, but fired straight at the keeper. Then the lively winger turned Brad Jackson’s deep cross over the bar.

    But the home side got the goal in the last minute of the 90. McLean’s excellent arrowed corner caused problems, and the ball found the net with Chester’s players feel aggrieved that a foul wasn’t given inside the box.

    After another encouraging performance, the Blues will look at bounce back next Saturday at the Deva against Marine in the FA Cup.

    CHESTER: Gray, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Morgan, Johnston, Glendon, Weeks, Bauress (Hughes 77), Dudley (Jackson 67), Elliott (Waring 77).

    SUBS NOT USED: Taylor, G Roberts.

    SCORERS: Taylor 34, Own Goal 90; Livesey 12.