PRE SEASON REPORT | Buxton 3-2 Chester

    The Blues were narrowly beaten in their fifth game of pre-season this afternoon.

    Despite second half strikes from George Waring and Danny Elliott, Buxton edged a five goal thriller at Silverlands Stadium.

    It was Chester who started the brighter of the two sides – and in particular the lively John Johnston – who went close on two occasions.

    After just three minutes, Waring did well to hold the ball and then set the winger up inside the box – but his rifled shot was tipped over by ex-Blue Grant Shenton.

    Johnston went even closer on 13 minutes. He showed great skill just outside the box to touch and turn before unleashing a curling effort – it beat Shenton but bounced back off the underside of the crossbar before being cleared.

    ‘JJ’ turned provider on 19 minutes, sending in a whipped free kick which was headed over the bar by Elliott – with the forward stretching to meet the cross.

    After Diego De Girolamo went close on 25 minutes; the home side hit the front a quarter of an hour later. A cross to the back post found James Hurst – and he slotted into the far corner with the aid of a deflection.

    But the Blues were level moments after the interval. A quick throw in on the left found Elliott, and his ball across the six yard box was turned home by Waring.

    It prompted a frantic 11 minutes which saw a further two goals.

    On 56 minutes Simon Grand was adjudged to have fouled Reece Styche inside the area. The second half sub picked himself up and sent Louis Gray the wrong way to make it 2-1.

    Nevertheless three minutes later it was all square again. Waring turned provider for Elliott this time, the latter latching on to the through ball, driving into the box and smashing it beyond Shenton.

    After a plethora of changes, Chester nearly took the lead for the first time in the game on 72 minutes. Kev Roberts’ dangerous delivery from the right was headed over the bar by the onrushing Elliott.

    De Girolamo was denied by the fantastic reactions of Gray on 81 – tipping behind a shot which looked designed for the net, before Buxton found the winning goal on 85 minutes.

    Styche made it a brace, turning on the edge of the box and firing into the bottom corner with the aid of a hefty deflection.

    CHESTER: Gray, Morgan (K Roberts 67), Livesey, Grand, Taylor (Trialist E 76), Johnston, Glendon (Trialist D 67), Trialist A (Trialist F 77), Dudley (Trialist B 46), Elliott (Goodwin 77), Waring (Trialist C 64).

    SCORERS: Hurst 39, Styche (pen) 56 & 85; Waring 48, Elliott 59.