REPORT | Blyth Spartans 1-3 Chester

    Chester ended their losing run with a wonderful away victory in the North East at Blyth Spartans this afternoon.

    First half goals from Matty Williams and Marcus Dackers were the catalyst for just a second away win of the season, before skipper George Glendon added to the scoreline early in the second 45.

    Sean Reid gave the home side hope, but the Blues saw it out for an excellent success.

    Manager Steve Watson made four changes from last Saturday’s 2-1 defeat to Chorley.

    Matty Waters returned to the club this week and was in to start, along with Williams, Danny Livesey and Darren Stephenson. James Horsfield, Harrison Burke and Simon Grand dropped to the bench – with Okera Simmonds unavailable due to illness.

    And it was one of the returning men who gave Chester the lead early on. Rob Apter’s initial free kick crashed against the crossbar, but Williams was on hand to fire home the rebound with Alex Mitchell stranded.

    JJ O’Donnell looked to respond at the other end moments later, but his whipped effort was comfortably off target.

    Nevertheless it was two on 19 minutes courtesy of Dackers. Declan Weeks pressed high to win the ball back and the on-loan Salford forward pounced on the loose ball to drive forward and rifle home from the edge of the box.

    Blyth looked to respond as Nicky Deverdics got a free kick up and over the wall from 25 yards, but Louis Gray did brilliantly to get across and make a one handed save low to his left.

    Chester had chances of their own to find a third, as first Apter danced into the box and firing the eventual loose ball over – before picking out Glendon on the edge who curled wide a few minutes after.

    Williams proved valuable at the other end just before the break as he turned a dangerous Jordan Hickey free kick away. Down the other end Weeks was picked out by Apter right at the end of the half but scuffed his attempt over the bar.

    However Watson’s men did get that third just a few minutes into the second half. Weeks and Glendon exchanged passes to break into the box – before the latter tucked home the loose ball in front of the fantastic travelling supporters.

    O’Donnell had a chance to reduce the arrears in response, but fired over unmarked from inside the area on 53 minutes.

    It started a decent spell for the hosts – their first of the game – which also saw Toby Lees nod a Deverdics corner against the woodwork on the hour mark.

    The Seals almost had a fourth on the counter though as Apter crossed for Darren Stephenson, but the forward nodded just over the bar.

    Nevertheless, the hosts got on the board midway through the second half. Sub Robbie Dale whipped in a deep corner for Reid to head home unmarked.

    The game stayed lively and moments after Glendon’s effort was smothered by Mitchell, Reid turned Angelo Cappello’s dangerous delivery wide.

    Gray punched a late Dale free kick over the bar, but the Blues managed the remaining moments well enough to claim an important three points.

    CHESTER: Gray, Waters, Livesey (Grand 77), Williams, Fitzpatrick, Roberts, Weeks, Glendon, Apter, Dackers, Stephenson.

    SUBS NOT USED: Stanway, Burke, Horsfield, Roache.

    SCORERS: Reid 69; Williams 3, Dackers 19, Glendon 50.

    ATTENDANCE: 852.