REPORT | Brackley Town 0-0 Chester

    Chester ended their season with another solid point on the road and a clean sheet at second placed Brackley Town.

    Steve Watson made two changes from Monday’s 4-0 win, in what was his final match as Chester FC Manager.

    18-year-old Ollie Heywood made his first senior league start for the club, replacing David Fitzpatrick, who dropped to the bench. Okera Simmonds also started, as Rob Apter had been recalled by parent club Blackpool.

    The first half was a quiet affair, little was riding on the game for either side and it showed.

    Brackley had the first of the half chances, as both Ellis Myles and then Alex Prosser drilled wide of the post from the edge of the box.

    Down the other end, Harrison Burke had Chester’s first attempt, a fierce low drive which was wide of the mark. A few moments later, Jaanai Gordon was successful in a tussle with Simon Grand and dribbled into the box before firing just off target.

    The Yellows had a couple more efforts before the break – with Simmonds sidefooting low and straight at Danny Lewis – before Heywood fired an effort not too far over the bar on the stroke of half time.

    Burke almost had another opportunity early in the second half when he latched on to a ball over the top – however his effort deflected just beyond the post.

    Moments later, Wyll Stanway had to be alert to tip over Fabio Lopes’ powerful goalbound effort.

    Danny Livesey, in his 107th and final Chester appearance before retirement, made his defensive mark on 70 minutes – clearing off the line from Lee Ndlovu just moments after Stanway had bravely denied fellow substitute Matt Lowe.

    Straight up the other end, Simmonds did well to control Glendon’s free kick and volley towards goal – but Lewis pushed it behind.

    Stanway was busy late on in the Chester goal, saving from Jimmy Armson in the final ten minutes and then from Lowe once again in stoppage time to preserve a solid point.

    CHESTER: Stanway, Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Heywood, Burke, Glendon, Weeks, Stephenson, Simmonds, Dackers (Sargent 67).

    SUBS NOT USED: Gray, Fitzpatrick, Roache, Williams.

    ATTENDANCE: 955 (133 away).