REPORT | Chester 0-1 Guiseley

    Chester suffered a disappointing one-nil defeat at home to Guiseley this evening.

    The visitors looked a constant threat on the counter attack all night and secured the three points thanks to a Lewis Hey strike, rifled into the bottom corner on 69 minutes.

    The Blues made one change from the side that lost at Hereford at the weekend as Jack Redshaw came into the starting line-up in place of Jude Oyibo.

    It was an open start to the game with both sides looking to create chances, the visitors forced the first save of the evening as Louis Gray was down well to push a Jamie Spencer free kick behind for a corner.

    Guiseley started to press the Blues high up the pitch and forced another opening as Lewis Hey got some space but Gray stayed up and was able to push the ball away.

    The visitors continued to look dangerous and with the ball bouncing around the Chester penalty area were twice denied by a block from one of their own players.

    Chester’s first opportunity of the evening came after Declan Weeks won the ball high up the pitch and worked the ball to Dudley, his effort from the edge of the area was tipped away by Brad Wade in the Guiseley goal.

    Jordan Thewlis continued to look threatening up top for the Lions as he drove inside the Chester penalty area before firing over the crossbar.

    The Blues almost found the opening goal just before half time as George Glendon turned inside the penalty area and curled an effort to the far corner, clipping the crossbar on the way over.

    Guiseley came straight back though as Prince Ekpolo broke forward and forced a strong save from Gray.

    The second half started slower but Chester had another good opportunity to take the lead. Dan Cowan’s ball over the top was met by Jack Redshaw but his effort was saved by Wade before Redshaw tried to find Dudley but the Guiseley defence was able to make a block.

    The Lions looked dangerous on the counter attack as Hey forced another good save from Gray. At the other end Glendon fired just wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area after some good Chester play.

    It was the visitors who took the lead as the Blues couldn’t clear the ball away and it broke to Hey who rifled a low effort into the bottom corner, leaving Gray glued to the spot.

    Guiseley almost added a second as Jamie Spencer picked out Hey again at the back post, but Gray was out quickly to smother the shot.

    Chester had a great opportunity to equalise as Redshaw’s effort was pushed away into the path of George Waring but Wade denied the Blues forward.

    The chances kept coming as Charlie Jolley’s cross was deflected to Darren Stephenson, but he couldn’t keep his effort down. The visiting Lions held on for their first away victory of the campaign.

    CHESTER: Gray, Roberts, Grand, Weeks (Waring 73), Cowan, Glendon, Dudley (Stephenson 58), Lacey, Askew (Oyibo 70), Redshaw, Jolley.

    SUBS NOT USED: Clark, Williams.

    SCORERS: Hey 69.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,351.