REPORT | Chester 0-2 Guiseley

    Chester FC went down to a bitterly disappointing defeat in a relegation crunch match against Guiseley. Goals from Callum McFadzean and former Blues loanee James Roberts condemned the home side to defeat.

    Marcus Bignot made three changes to the team that lost heavily to Halifax at the weekend, with Rowe-Turner, White and Hannah all coming into the starting eleven, replacing Udoh, Akintunde and McCombe.

    The Blues got off to the worst possible start as Callum McFadzean scored a scorching strike from 25 yards, leaving the hosts with a mountain to climb.

    Guiseley almost doubled their advantage as a long throw was turned against the post by James Jones before the Blues defender made a smart block to follow up.

    With quarter of an hour played the Blues were two down. Former loanee James Roberts returned to haunt the team as he got in behind and smashed a strike beyond Sam Hornby in the Chester goal.

    Things got worse for the hosts in the twenty-fifth minute as Lathaniel Rowe-Turner was given his marching orders for a challenge deemed dangerous by referee Karl Evans.

    Tom Shaw went closest for the Blues in the first half as he met a cut back from Kingsley James but fired an effort too close to Maxted in the Guiseley goal.

    Chester started to gain a bit of momentum and again worked Maxted down to his left, as Harry White struck on the turn, but the Guiseley ‘keeper was down to make the save.

    The visitors almost added a third but Purver ended up just short of a cross into the penalty area.

    It wasn’t long before Chester had another opportunity, this time Jordan Gough picked out Akintunde, who broke the offside trap, only for the Blues’ striker to be denied again by Maxted’s outstretched left hand to ensure Guiseley lead 2-0 at the half.

    The first chance of the second half fell to the visitors, Alex Purver with a volley, whilst backing away from goal, that was saved comfortably by Hornby.

    Chester managed to forge a couple of quick chances of their own, first Akintunde tried a flick but couldn’t get enough on it then White fired against the back of Astles.

    At the other end James Roberts again caused the Blues problems, getting in behind only to be denied by Sam Hornby, Alex Purver picked up the rebound only to be denied by an outstanding diving header from Tom Shaw on the line.

    James Roberts had another chance, but headed wide of the target, whilst at the other end, the returning Jordan Archer headed just the wrong side of Maxted’s goal.

    From there the two sides cancelled each other out and Guiseley held on to secure a huge three points.

    Chester: Hornby, Rowe-Turner, James, Astles (c), White (Archer 65), Hannah (Akintunde 33), Dawson, Jones, Shaw (Mahon 75), Hall-Johnson, Gough.
    Subs: Halls, Turnbull.

    Guiseley: Maxted, Brown, Palmer (c), Lawlor, McFadzean, Purver, Lenighan, Fondop (Odejayi 83), Harvey, Crookes, Roberts (Correia 89).
    Subs: Koue Niate, Holden, Hughes.

    Goals: Guiseley: McFadzean (4), Roberts (15).
    Yellow Cards: Guiseley: Purver, Lenighan, McFadzean.
    Red Cards: Chester: Rowe-Turner.
    Attendance: 1,634

    Referee: Karl Evans.
    Assistant Referees: Matthew Smith, Martin Chester.
    Fourth Official: David Croft.

    Match Report by Chris Graham