REPORT | Chester 1-2 Chorley

    Chester’s improved display wasn’t enough this afternoon at the Deva, as a Jack Sampson brace gave Chorley all three points.

    A first half Sampson double saw the visitors in control of the contest. The Blues struck the woodwork twice and pulled a goal back late on through a Marcus Dackers penalty – but ultimately couldn’t earn a point.

    The Blues made three changes from the side that lost at Leamington last weekend as Wyll Stanway, Darren Stephenson and Matty Williams made way for Louis Gray, Marcus Dackers and Okera Simmonds.

    Chester made the worst possible start as they found themselves a goal down within two minutes as Adam Blakeman’s cross was flicked on to Sampson who finished well on the volley.

    The hosts recovered well and should have equalised after a quarter of an hour as George Glendon’s superb cross picked out the unmarked Dackers but his header was saved by Matt Urwin.

    Just before the half hour mark and the visitors doubled their advantage, Jon Ustabasi burst into the Blues’ penalty and slid the ball across for Jack Sampson, who tapped in his second of the afternoon.

    Chester again looked for a way back into the game and went close as Weeks and Glendon exchanged passes before the former poked an effort beyond Urwin only to be denied by the post.

    The Blues started the second half brightly and had another chance to pull one back as Simon Grand met Rob Apter’s free kick, but his header was straight at Urwin.

    More good play from the hosts almost saw them pull one back yet again as it was Dackers’ turn to strike the woodwork as he unleashed a fierce strike from Rowan Roache’s cross.

    Two minutes later and the Blues had another good chance to get a goal as Dackers won the ball in the Chorley penalty area and unleashed a powerful effort, however Urwin stayed big to make the save.

    With a minute of normal time remaining, Chester won a penalty as Glendon was brought down by Urwin following a dangerous cross from debutant teenager Ollie Heywood.

    Dackers stepped up and placed his penalty low, beyond Urwin to reduce the deficit.

    Three minutes into stoppage time Roache picked out Grand with a cross, but he couldn’t generate enough power to get it beyond Urwin and in the end Chorley were able to see out the remaining minutes unscathed.

    CHESTER: Gray, Roberts, Grand, Weeks, Fitzpatrick, Glendon (c), Burke (Stephenson 45), Horsfield, Apter (Heywood 74), Dackers, Simmonds (Roache 61).

    SUBS NOT USED: Stanway, Williams.

    SCORERS: Dackers 89 (pen); Sampson 2 & 27.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,689.