REPORT | Chester 3-2 Gloucester City

    Chester FC secured an unbelievable victory in an entertaining game against Gloucester City as George Glendon’s 98th minute strike ensured the three points.

    An Anthony Dudley penalty put Chester ahead before Gloucester went two-one in front through Ollie Hulbert and Danny Leadbitter.

    With just three minutes to go Simon Grand equalised for the Blues before pandemonium in the stands as Glendon struck a late, late winner.

    The Blues named an unchanged starting eleven, with Kevin Roberts returning to the bench for the only change to the squad from Saturday.

    Chester started brightly, forging the first chance of the game after just four minutes as Dudley found Josh Askew, who whipped a cross in for Jack Redshaw but his header into the ground bounced over the crossbar.

    Gloucester were quick to create a chance of their own as a corner made it’s way to Hulbert, but Dan Cowan was across well to block his goalbound effort.

    The visitors began to take hold of the game and nearly found the opening goal as Jordan Young latched onto a ball into the penalty area and fired narrowly over the crossbar.

    Chester were given a huge opportunity to take the lead midway through the first half as James Hardy was brought down inside the penalty area. Up stepped Dudley and sent the Gloucester ‘keeper the wrong way to give The Blues the lead.

    The goal gave Chester confidence and they almost doubled their advantage as Dudley latched onto a ball from Cowan, after some good control he forced a good save out of Jake Cole.

    Just before half time Chester had another chance to add a second as Paddy Lacey set Redshaw free, the on-loan forward cut back inside of his defender before firing over the crossbar, with Chester leading by a goal to nil at half time.

    Chester continued to look for a second in the second half but were almost caught out as Kevin Dawson’s cross bounced off the post before Grand and Matty Williams cleared the ball away.

    Four minutes later and Gloucester hit the other post as Leon Chambers-Parillon controlled the ball inside the Chester penalty area before firing against the outside of the post.

    The visitors pressure paid off on the hour mark as Ryan Galvin’s cross from the left side was met by Hulbert, who placed his header beyond Gray to level the scores.

    Gloucester almost added a second as they ramped up the pressure and Dawson’s low drive went just wide of the Chester goal.

    Seconds later and they certainly should have added a second, after winning the ball high up the pitch the visitors had two players go through on goal, Hulbert squared it past Gray for Tomlinson, who missed an open goal from two yards out.

    Chester struggled to create chances in the second half but on a rare chance to get forward George Glendon fired goalwards and Jake Cole could only parry to George Waring, but he couldn’t keep his effort down before the offside flag went up.

    Gloucester got the goal that their second half performance deserved with just under ten minutes to play as Kevin Dawson’s free kick was turned in from close range by Leadbitter.

    Chester almost made an immediate response as Jude Oyibo burst into the penalty area and knocked it beyond Cole, only to be denied by the inside of the post and somehow Gloucester managed to scramble clear.

    With three minutes to go Chester equalised after a period of pressure as Grand met a Glendon corner with a fantastic header.

    Chester almost secured the win at the death as Williams saw his ninty-sixth minute effort denied by Jake Cole.

    There was still time for one more chance and as Gloucester failed to deal with a long ball forward, the ball broke to Glendon who finished first time beyond Cole to secure the victory for the Blues.

    Chester: Gray, Grand, Weeks (Oyibo 23), Cowan, Hardy (Stephenson 66), Glendon (c), Dudley, Lacey, Williams, Askew, Redshaw (Waring 66).

    Subs Not Used: Roberts, Clark.

    Goalscorers: Dudley (pen) 28, Grand 87, Glendon 90+8; Hulbert 59, Leadbitter 81.

    Attendance: 1,474.

    Match Report by Chris Graham.