REPORT | Chorley 4-1 Chester

    Chester fell to another away defeat this afternoon as Chorley cruised to victory.

    They were three up within 36 minutes, Harry Cardwell at the double and Ollie Shenton scoring inbetween.

    Dan Cowan’s header had given the Blues hope before the break, but Scott Leather added a fourth early in the second half to quash any hopes of a fightback.

    The Seals, in their yellow change strip, showed two changes from victory over Alfreton Town last weekend. James Hardy and Anthony Dudley dropped to the bench and Darren Stephenson and Simon Grand came in.

    Chorley’s attacking threats from set pieces showed from the first whistle, and fired their first warning sign on four minutes as Cardwell headed back across goal from a free kick – but fortunately the Blues scrambled clear.

    At the other end moments later, Stephenson did well to hold the ball up inside the box – before setting up Declan Weeks who fired against the side netting.

    The hosts did hit the front on eight minutes though. Billy Whitehouse stood up a cross from the right and Cardwell timed his run to perfection to head into the net.

    Again, Stephenson created an opportunity with some decent forward play, finding the advanced Josh Askew – but his attempt was off target. On the quarter of an hour mark, Matty Williams was denied by Matt Urwin following a dangerous Weeks delivery.

    Nevertheless, one became two just after this. Shenton arriving at the back post to tap home after good work on the right from Willem Tomlinson to provide the cross.

    Cardwell was proving to be the main threat in the area though. After 25 minutes he fired another warning shot – nodding inches wide of Louis Gray’s post – before then making it a brace. Gray did well to save Scott Leather’s initial header from the corner but the number nine was on hand to tap home the rebound.

    But then a tactical switch from Bern and Jonno to bring George Waring on to replace Luke Clark seemed to rejuvenate the Blues and they nearly had one back when Williams again met Weeks’ free kick; but turned it wide.

    Just before the end of the half, they did get one back though as Cowan turned home Livesey’s header after another pinpoint free kick from Weeks.

    They nearly had a second as Askew broke brilliantly down the left and, as strong appeals for a penalty were waved away when Waring appeared to be hauled down, Weeks was twice denied by excellent blocks on the follow up inside the box.

    However Chorley came out and restored their three goal advantage six minutes after the interval. It was Tomlinson who was once again the architect – whipping in a corner for Leather to turn home.

    Chester had plenty of openings following the fourth, but brave Magpies defending prevented them getting another goal back. Anthony Dudley spun and fired inches wide, as James Hardy and Waring were both denied inside the area by flying defensive blocks.

    It went from bad to worse for the visitors as the skipper Glendon was sent off late on. He was shown two yellows in the second half for fouls on Cardwell and Whitehouse.

    Chorley almost added a fifth through sub Jacob Blyth, who shot against the post, before Millenic Alli somehow fired the rebound wide.

    CHESTER: Gray, Cowan, Livesey, Williams, Grand, Clark (Waring 42), Weeks, Glendon, Johnston (Dudley 57), Stephenson, Askew (Hardy 57).

    SUBS NOT USED: Roberts, Lacey.

    SCORERS: Cardwell 8 & 36, Shenton 21, Leather 51; Cowan 45.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,520.