REVIEW OF THE SEASON | December 2018 takes a look back at the events of the Blues’ 2018/19 National League North campaign – month-by-month!

    December 2018

    …it was a memorable debut for Asante!

    Chester 3-1 DarlingtonThe Tamworth loanee made himself a fan favourite in quick time. A ‘perfect hat-trick’ – header, left foot and then right foot secured a win for the ten man Blues. Despite having Dan Mooney sent off in the first half, Asante made sure it was his day with three brilliantly taken goals.

    Stockport 1-1 Chester – Seven days later Asante was back on the scoring trail, but the Blues were pegged back by County. Sam Walker equalised with a controversial penalty, and Chester had some big chances to win the game but it wasn’t to be; just a point at Edgeley Park.

    A two week break followed as the Blues next up hosted AFC Telford in a big top seven clash. They were looking for revenge after August’s disappointing defeat at New Bucks Head. Brad Jackson arrived from Ashton United to bolster the squad prior to the game.

    Chester 2-1 AFC TelfordA brilliant victory in the Blues last match before Christmas. Akwasi Asante scored after the Blues had gone behind – his fifth in three matches – before Anthony Dudley swept home the winner in the second half. Telford had a man sent off late on, and the Blues saw it out for the three points.

    Merry Christmas!

    Southport 3-0 ChesterBoxing Day disappointment for the Blues. Losing Gary Stopforth and Akwasi Asante due to injury made it a festive fixture to forget, as the Sandgrounders put Chester to the sword. One positive was a Chester FC debut for George Green on his return from injury.

    The sad news then came out that Mike Metcalf had sadly passed away at the age of 79 after a long illness. Mike was an integral part of the “Famous Five” forward line, alongside Gary Talbot, Elfed Morris, Jimmy Humes and Hugh Ryden, that each scored more than 20 goals in all competitions in the 1964/65 season.

    Hereford 2-0 ChesterAnother defeat to end 2018, as Hereford picked up a crucial three points. Matty Thomson was forced off due to injury early on, and a goal in each half saw the Blues travel back to Cheshire empty handed.