Rushall Olympic 1-1 Chester

    It was a tale of two penalties at Dales Lane on a cold Tuesday night as the Blues drew with Rushall Olympic.

    Skipper George Glendon gave Chester the lead from 12 yards early in the second half; before a spot kick at the other end moments later from Alex Fletcher ensured it ended level.

    Blues boss Calum McIntyre made two changes from the victory at South Shields. Reece Daly replaced Iwan Murray in midfield, with Owen Windsor making his debut up top in place of Charlie Caton.

    It was a quiet start at Dales Lane, but Chester almost got an opening on 13 minutes. A quickly taken throw in from Harrison Burke enabled Windsor to drive into the box, but his cutback just evaded Kieran Coates and Christian Norton.

    Down the other end and a dangerous whipped goalmouth corner from Callum Sullivan was well cleared by Wyll Stanway – before the Blues ‘keeper made a good low stop to deny Lewis Hudson from the edge of the area.

    Chester almost had a chance midway through the half when Weeks’ teasing cross looked to find the late run of Daly – however the midfielder couldn’t get a meaningful touch and the ball landed in the arms of Jake Weaver.

    Rushall had a big chance on 33 minutes when Hudson cutback for the unmarked Jourdain Nkalambi-Masidi – however he blazed over from a good position.

    Stanway made a routine save to deny Sullivan at the end of the half as the two sides went in without a breakthrough after 45.

    Chester then made the breakthrough just after the interval.

    Weeks’ cutback free kick was met by the touch of Burke who was tripped by Luke Badley-Morgan – and Glendon calmly converted the opener – sending Weaver the wrong way.

    But then there was a penalty moments later at the other end; as Williams was adjudged to have fouled Sonny Singh inside the area.

    Fletcher stepped up and fired down the middle to level the game up.

    Chester responded well and created as Glendon fed Coates who saw his cutback scrambled clear, before Norton shot just wide from the edge after good work from sub Ollie Heywood.

    Weaver made a superb stop on 73 minutes to claw back a Caton header from Weeks’ corner, before firing the rebound against the side netting.

    The second half was proving far more eventful – as moments later a dangerous Hudson cross was turned inches wide by Nkalambi-Masidi – before Chester hit the woodwork as a Weeks cross-cum-shot hit the top of the crossbar.

    That was the end of the action as the Blues ended their run of six away games on the bounce with another solid National League North point.


    Chester: Stanway, Burke, Williams, Edwards (Heywood 46), Coates, Whitehouse, Daly, Glendon, Weeks, Norton (Murray 85), Windsor (Caton 59).

    Subs Not Used: Roberts, Maguire.

    Scorers: Fletcher (pen) 56; Glendon (pen) 50.

    Attendance: 528.