South Shields 0-1 Chester

    Chester ended South Shields’ unbeaten home record with a superb victory on the road at the 1st Cloud Arena.

    The goal came on 39 minutes from the unlikeliest of sources, Liam Edwards, which set the stage for a huge three points.

    Calum McIntyre made just the one change from Tuesday’s draw at Alfreton Town, as Kieran Coates replaced Joel Taylor at full back. New signing Owen Windsor was named amongst the substitutes.

    It was a quiet start in the North East, as respective set piece deliveries from the two sides were cleared comfortably, before the first shot on 12 minutes from Mackenzie Heaney deflected well over the crossbar.

    Chester grew into what was a cagey opening 45, looking defensively solid and having a couple of nearly moments as the break beckoned.

    First Christian Norton released Charlie Caton who took the ball away from the onrushing Myles Boney but the angle was against him and the ‘keeper gathered the shot. Then, Glendon released Norton inside the box, his shot took a deflection and nearly landed at Caton’s feet for a tap in but was scrambled clear.

    The opener did arrive though for the Seals six minutes prior to the break; as Declan Weeks’ corner was glanced on by Harrison Burke and turned home by Edwards at the back post – the first goal the Mariners have conceded on their own patch in 11 games.

    South Shields went in search of an equaliser into the second half and had an opening when half time sub John Lufudu sent in a low cross which went all the way through to the back post and was met by Jordy Mongoy who blazed over the bar.

    Chester almost got a second on the counter midway through the half as Weeks released Caton who took an excellent first touch and then shot – but Boney got down to make an excellent save.

    Moments later Glendon and Weeks stole possession high up the pitch, the former saw his shot blocked before Elliott Whitehouse dragged the follow up wide of the post.

    The hosts then should have levelled on 74 minutes – missing a golden chance. Martin Smith’s corner was knocked into the six yard box and the unmarked Heaney blasted it over the crossbar.

    The Blues managed the game superbly as the minutes ticked down, defending heroically and securing a clean sheet at the end of a huge victory on the road.


    Chester: Stanway, Burke, Williams, Edwards, Coates, Whitehouse, Murray (Daly 60), Glendon, Weeks, Norton (Heywood 66), Caton.

    Subs Not Used: Windsor, Rosenblatt, Maguire.

    Scorers: Edwards 39.

    Attendance: 2,325.