SPE0209 Connor Evans

    Spennymoor Town 1-1 Chester

    Chester were denied their first away win of the new season – a late goal ensuring it ended all square at the Brewery Field.

    Charlie Caton broke the deadlock on 74 minutes on his return from injury, but fellow substitute Will Harris struck with three minutes to go to deny the Blues all three points.

    Manager Calum McIntyre made two changes, both enforced, from Monday’s win over Farsley Celtic.

    The suspended Harrison Burke was replaced by Liam Edwards, while an injury to Kole Hall meant that loanee Connor Evans led the line for the first time. Caton made the bench after an injury had ruled him out for almost a month.

    Spennymoor, kicking down the hill, started the brighter of the two and debutant Joshua Popoola was presented with an opportunity when Wyll Stanway’s kick landed at his feet, however he dragged a shot wide.

    Evans, on his first start in yellow, was almost through on goal midway through the half but Ben Pollock made an important challenge to stop him.

    Chester were growing into the half after a sloppy start and again almost had an opening when Declan Weeks’ sweeping pass was well controlled by Elliott Whitehouse who saw his shot bravely blocked.

    The best chance of the opening 45 came to Rob Ramshaw. A cross into the box fell kindly at his feet and saw two scrambling efforts blocked by a combination of Kieran Coates and Matty Williams.

    Danny Greenfield was played through by Ramshaw on 56 minutes but Stanway did brilliantly to rush off his line and smother the effort.

    Edwards was next to provide some excellent work defensively as he stayed with the twisting and turning Taylor before stretching to block his shot. Papoola then inadvertently blocked Callum Ross’ shot from the resultant corner which made it easy for Stanway to gather.

    Nevertheless, Caton provided the sucker punch to give Chester the lead.

    Just three minutes off the bench he turned home the opener after Glendon’s cutback was miscued into his path by Whitehouse to break the deadlock.

    Chester though were to be denied all three points late on as a cross from the right was sliced clear and sub Harris fired in an excellent snapshot to ensure a share of the spoils.


    Chester: Stanway, Coates (Thomas 82), Williams, Edwards, Heywood, Roberts, Glendon, Weeks, Whitehouse, Murray (Maguire 54), Evans (Caton 71).

    Subs Not Used: Goodson, Daly.

    Scorers: Harris 87; Caton 74.

    Attendance: 1,245.