YOUTH CUP REPORT | Chorley 2-3 Chester

    A brace from Captain Will Goodwin saw the Blues muster up a fantastic fightback this evening to advance in the FA Youth Cup.

    Goodwin was at the double and – aided by Regan Rubin’s strike – went through after extra time despite the Magpies two goal lead at half time in normal time.

    It was the home side who had all the early opportunities as Calum McIntyre’s side started slowly in the rain. Taylor Brickell and Harry Scarborough both dragging shots off target from good positions.

    Chester’s first half chance came on 11 minutes, as Will Goodwin pipped Chorley keeper Heyes to a loose ball and clipped it into the box – but Thomas blocked Jake Hampson’s effort.

    However, in the space of 12 first half minutes the Under-18’s suffered a double setback conceding two goals.

    First, Jack Hughes’ long range effort went through Josh Schofield and found the back of the net. Then on 32 minutes Adam Thomas found time and space inside the area to sidefoot into the bottom corner.

    Chances came in a good spell for the Blues before the interval. Regan Rubin’s effort unfortunately deflected off Jake Hampson and went wide.

    After the second goal, Tom Ruffer smashed the crossbar with a 30-yard piledriver before Owen Kucharski was denied by Heyes and Hampson volleyed over the bar.

    As expected after the break, McIntyre’s side looked to muster their response. Leo Young had replaced Sam Turner – but it was Regan Rubin who had the first chance; stopped by an acrobatic save by Heyes from Hampson’s inch perfect cross.

    After a couple of nearly moments, that goal to half the deficit came on 72 minutes. Young’s cross found the head of Goodwin, his effort was saved before Rubin smashed home the rebound.

    The momentum kept the Seals high up the pitch and almost equalised on 77 minutes. Following a succession of corners, Hampson found the head of Burke but the ball was cleared off the line.

    It looked as if it wasn’t going to be the Blues day in the 90 as another header from a corner was hooked off the line, but the Captain Goodwin stepped up to latch on to Rubin’s through ball and find the net at the second attempt.

    Adam Forrest missed a glorious chance in stoppage time for the hosts as the game went into Extra Time.

    Sub Tyler Sutton made incredible impact in a cagey first half of extra time. On 104 minutes, his speedy and direct run ended with a shot which Heyes parried into the area, but for Goodwin to be on hand to find the roof of the net and send the Seals into bedlam.

    Josh Schofield had to deny Thompson’s glancing header, but the young Blues held firm to advance in the cup.

    CHESTER: Schofield, Kucharski, Burke, Hall (Buckley 74), Bell, Hampson, Ruffer, Harrison (Johnson 106), Turner (Young 46), Goodwin, Rubin (Sutton 100).

    SUBS NOT USED: Atton, Woodburn, Gibson.

    SCORERS: Hughes 20, Thomas 32; Rubin 72, Goodwin 84 & 104.