Chester 0-1 Southport

    Chester slipped to a first defeat in 12 after a scrappy affair that was settled in the second half by a Richie Bennett header.

    The game started with a flurry of corners around the 15th minute mark, Williams had the best chance after connecting at the back post.

    Declan Weeks came close in the 24th minute after Renshaw flapped at a dangerous cross. 

    The ball fell to Weeks on the edge of the box before he looped an effort that beat everyone but clipped the top of the crossbar, the closest effort in the first half hour.

    The visitors then gave Calum McIntyre’s men a scare when Danny Lloyd connected to a whipped delivery.

    Lloyd met it well with the volley but the ball slid past the post, a let off for the Seals as the first half drew to a close with very little goalmouth action at either end.

    The visitors had the first effort of the second half as Ben Hockenhull was denied by a brave Kieran Coates’ block, denying an effort which looked goal bound.

    Charlie Caton was brought on for Ben Tollitt on the hour mark and almost had an immediate impact after a Weeks and Glendon short corner.

    The cross was whipped low towards the penalty spot where Caton struck it brilliantly but Hockenhull blocked smartly on the line.

    The number nine then latched on to another Weeks cross, this time his header flew over the bar.

    In the 74th minute Richie Bennett broke the deadlock for the Sandgrounders, impressively leaping and powering a header past Stanway, a huge blow for the Blues.

    The Seals attempted to bounce back immediately as Caton ran past Keenan Quansah before powering a drive that Renshaw blocked well.

    Calum McIntyre’s men went in search of an equaliser late on but the away side held on and put an end to our long unbeaten run.

    Match Report by Tom Bird.


    Chester: Stanway, Burton, Williams, Edwards (Norton 78′), Coates, Burke, Whitehouse, Glendon, Weeks, Tollitt  (Caton 60′), Peers

    Subs Not Used: Woodthorpe, Daly, Murray


    Attendance: 1739