KLT1208 Win

    Chester 3-0 King’s Lynn Town

    Chester picked up their first victory of the new league season with a convincing win over King’s Lynn Town.

    Zak Goodson gave the Blues a half time lead, before strikes from Kole Hall and the excellent Iwan Murray sealed the win at the newly-named Leap76 Stadium.

    Calum McIntyre made three changes from last Saturday’s defeat at Bishop’s Stortford – all enforced.

    Matty Williams and Declan Weeks were only fit enough to make the bench, while Charlie Caton was ruled out altogether due to injury.

    Reece Daly made his first senior start, joining Earl and Goodson in the eleven – with 17-year-old Adam Bott named on the bench.

    The Blues made a bright start – rewarded when Goodson got his debut goal.

    Murray’s corner was nodded towards goal by Harrison Burke – parried by loanee Ronnie Sandford – and the number seven was there to turn home the loose ball.

    King’s Lynn almost summoned an instant reply, a deep cross from the right found the run of unmarked Tom Clifford, who headed wide from close range.

    Clifford then went close from a free kick on the quarter of an hour mark – his curling effort got over the wall but Wyll Stanway got across to tip it round the post.

    Stanway was called into action once again on 25 minutes as he parried away an effort from Ben Stephens.

    Goodson was trying to add to his tally on 37 minutes after more good Chester pressing. Kole Hall won it back and Daly found the forward who cut inside and whipped one with his left – Sandford though did well to hold on to the ball.

    Just as the hosts started the first half the brighter, the visitors were quick out the traps in the second 45.

    On 54 minutes, a dangerous cross from the right by Kian Ronan forced an excellent double save from Stanway.

    But Chester doubled the advantage moments later.

    Sandford got nowhere near an Earl ball over the top, Coates lobbed it into the area and a defensive mix up enabled Hall the simplest opportunity to fire in the second.

    With just five minutes to go, Player of the Match Murray got his goal and wrapped it up. Sub Weeks supplied the pass, and the Welshman nutmegged a defender before firing past Sandford cool as you like.


    Chester: Stanway, Coates, Edwards, Burke, Taylor, Earl (Weeks 59), Whitehouse, Daly, Murray (Bott 90+5), Goodson (Glendon 71), Hall.

    Subs Not Used: Williams, Heywood.

    Scorers: Goodson 7, Hall 56, Murray 83.

    Attendance: 2,137 (62 away).