Chester 3-0 Scarborough Athletic

    Chester collected a huge three points and overtook Scarborough in the league table as they comfortably beat the Seadogs 3-0.

    The sun was beaming down on the Leap76 stadium and Chester’s performance matched the weather. It was complete team performance from back to front and they were fully deserving of the full complement of points.

    Calum McIntyre’s men came out of the traps with attacking intent and the Seals capitalised on the pressure.

    Following a Declan Weeks corner, the ball bounced to the returning Kevin Roberts who hooked the ball goalward.

    Scarborough defender and captain Will Thornton flung an arm out in a desperate attempt to prevent a goal and referee Darren Rogers pointed to the spot.

    After scoring from 12 yards on Tuesday night Elliott Whitehouse stepped up again and made no mistake, firing the ball to the keeper’s right and sending Ryan Whitley the wrong way with not even ten minutes on the clock.

    On the stroke of halftime Stanway was tested for the first time, following a set piece full back Kieran Weledji leapt highest to nod the ball but Stanway was well set to palm the ball over.

    The start of the second half was a mirror image of the first with Chester imposing themselves right from the first whistle.  The lively Christian Norton saw his volley deflected over the bar and George Glendon touched down an inviting ball from Harrison Burke but couldn’t quite get the ball out from under his feet.

    Exactly halfway through the second half Chester got the second goal they deserved. Tom Peers was rewarded for his attacking endeavour as he robbed the ball right on the touchline.

    With Whitley out of his net, skipper George Glendon had time to compose himself before rifling the ball into the roof of the untended net.

    Debutant Ben Tollitt nearly made it 3-0 five minutes later.  His ferocious strike was marginally over the crossbar, a sign of good things to come in Blue for our new number 18.

    It was an afternoon to forget for Scarborough captain Will Thornton. After giving away the penalty in the first half he was given his marching orders for a second bookable offence after wiping out second half substitute Charlie Caton.

    Scarborough struggled to create any clear-cut chances, on an afternoon that saw the home defence looked strong and resolute.

    Then with virtually the last kick of the game the Seals did get their third. Debutant Tollit slipped in Glendon, who played an incisive ball across the face of goal and Tom Peers was on hand to tap it in.

    Three goals and three points. A wonderful afternoon for Chester as they rise to fourth position and make it six games unbeaten.

    Match Report by Jude Deedigan


    Chester: Stanway, Woodthorpe , Roberts, Williams, Burke, Whitehouse, Glendon, Weeks, Murray (Tollitt 61), Norton (Caton 54), Peers.

    Subs Not Used: Taylor, Hall, Okeke.

    Scorers: Whitehouse (pen) 9, Glendon 67, Peers 90+4.