MATCH REPORT | Chester 0-0 AFC Telford

    Chester FC battled hard but struggled to break down a stubborn AFC Telford side, earning a point in a goalless draw.

    The Blues created the best chances, and struck both the post, through George Waring, and crossbar, through Simon Grand, while Ryan Barnett was sent off for the visitors for a second yellow card.

    Chester made two changes from the side that beat Hednesford Town in the FA Trophy on Tuesday night as Kevin Roberts and Elton Ngwatala came in for Jamie Morgan and Danny Elliott.

    The Blues started brightly, against a defensive Telford side, as Elton Ngwatala played it to Asante’s feet on the edge of the penalty area, he managed to turn Theo Streete but the Telford defence did well to get back and make a block.

    Telford looked dangerous on the counter-attack though and striker Matt Stenson managed to pick up the ball on the halfway line and burst into the Chester penalty area, only to be denied by a Danny Livesey block.

    Chester continued to look for the opening goal and had a couple of chances through Asante, the first a deflected free kick that Matt Yates was down to save, before meeting a corner but unable to get his header on target.

    Both sides searched for the opening goal, with James McQuilkin inches away from getting to a Ryan Barnett cross and Anthony Dudley finding his effort blocked.

    With twenty minutes to go substitute George Waring almost broke the deadlock for the hosts, Simon Grand picked out Waring, after Glendon had dummied, but his low effort could only strike the base of the post and rebound away.

    The Blues continued to press and had another good chance as Danny Livesey picked out Brad Jackson on the left, he crossed well to Asante but his volley was too close to Matt Yates.

    Moments later and another great chance fell to the Blues forward, but again Yates was equal to it, Jamie Morgan burst forward and found Asante, but the keeper got down well to gather the ball.

    With just under ten minutes to go once more it was Morgan who played Asante through on goal, he cut back and left Streete on the floor and appeared to be caught. Nevertheless, Referee John Matthews blew his whistle and booked Asante for simulation.

    Chester were really pushing for the winning goal and created another chance as Jackson’s cross was met by Waring, but his header couldn’t trouble Yates.

    With a minute remaining Chester again tested the woodwork, this time Glendon’s free kick was headed down to Grand, whose volley struck the crossbar and out for a goal kick.

    There was still time for late drama as Barnett brought down Ngwatala and was shown a second yellow card, giving him his marching orders on a frustrating afternoon.

    Chester: Griffiths, K Roberts, Taylor (Morgan 63), G Roberts, Livesey, Grand (c), Jackson, Glendon, Asante, Dudley (Waring 63), Ngwatala.
    Subs: Stopforth, Hughes, Elliott.

    AFC Telford: Yates, Birch, White, Deeney, Sutton (c), Streete, Barnett, Walker, Stenson (Williams 82), McQuilkin (Dinanga 82), Daniels.
    Subs: Lilly, Dinanga, Williams, Calder, Knights.

    Yellow Cards: Chester: Grand, Asante. Telford: Deeney, Stenson, Birch, Barnett.
    Red Cards: Telford: Barnett.
    Attendance: 1,756.

    Referee: John Matthews.