MATCH REPORT | Chester 2-1 Farsley Celtic

    Chester FC picked up their first win of the Vanarama National League North campaign seeing off Farsley Celtic by two goals to one on a blustery afternoon at the Deva Stadium.

    Goals from Bradley Jackson and George Waring saw Chester go two goals up before Will Hayhurst pulled one back from the penalty spot for the visitors.

    The Blues made one change from the side that rescued a point late on against Altrincham on Tuesday night as Craig Mahon came into the starting line-up for Danny Elliott.

    The visitors started brightly, earning several corners in the opening ten minutes, but it was the Blues who forced the first real chance of the game as Joel Taylor burst forward and fired to Elliot Wynne’s near post, but the Farsley ‘keeper made the save.

    Gary Roberts took the resulting corner and almost curled it straight in, with Wynne again on hand to push it over the bar.

    Chester’s spell of possession then continued as Gary Roberts again was causing problems, his inch perfect cross picked out Danny Livesey, but the Blues centre half could only head powerfully against the crossbar.

    Farsley still looked dangerous though and a mix-up at the back for the Blues allowed Jimmy Spencer a chance in the channel, lobbing the ball over Griffiths but Danny Livesey was back to head the ball off the line.

    Chester continued to look dangerous from set pieces though and were again denied by the woodwork, this time Kevin Roberts meeting a corner and heading against the post.

    Farsley almost took the lead with five minutes left in the first half as more indecision in the Chester defence allowed Jimmy Spencer in, and Griffiths had to make a save with his feet, there was then a collision between Spencer and Griffiths, with the Farsley centre forward receiving a yellow card.

    Chester made the perfect start to the second half, taking the lead within the first minute as George Waring controlled a ball in the Farsley penalty area, the ball broke to Bradley Jackson, who fired powerfully past Elliot Wynne.

    The Blues were starting to press the visitors higher up the pitch, Brad Jackson did well down the right, he cut it back for George Waring, who took a touch and finished well in the bottom corner before picking up the corner flag and doing a snooker celebration!

    The visitors went close to pulling one back within a couple of minutes of the restart as Will Hayhurst unleashed a fierce strike from a free kick, but Russ Griffiths was equal to it, pushing it away with one hand.

    Farsley were handed an opportunity to get back into the game with just over ten minutes remaining as substitute Scott Burton brought down Paul Walker inside the penalty area. Will Hayhurst stepped up and sent Russ Griffiths the wrong way, halving the deficit.

    The visitors were finishing the game strongly and again won a free kick in a dangerous position, this time Jordan Richards fired a curling effort over the crossbar.

    It was Chester who came closest to scoring though as Joel Taylor’s ball forward got caught in the wind and caught out Elliot Wynne, with the Farsley ‘keeper scrambling back to push it out for a corner.

    Chester should have added a third in the final minute of stoppage time as Matty Hughes played in Bradley Jackson on the counter attack, he was denied by Wynne and the ball broke to Danny Elliott, but the Blues striker couldn’t keep his shot down, with the goal gaping. Luckily for him the Blues managed to see out the remaining minute and secure their first win of the season.

    Chester: Griffiths, K Roberts, Taylor, G Roberts (c) (Burton 59), Livesey, Grand, Jackson, Stopforth, Waring, Mahon (Elliott 84), Dudley (Hughes 84).

    Subs: Morgan, Waters, Elliott, Hughes.

    Farsley Celtic: Wynne, Richards, Baldwin, Higgins, Ellis (c), B Atkinson, Walton (Syers 75), C Atkinson, Spencer, Cartman (Walker 64), Hayhurst.

    Subs: Parkin, Trenerry, Walker, Syers, Boateng.

    Attendance: 1,601.

    Goal Scorers: Chester: Jackson (46), Waring (63). Farsley Celtic: Hayhurst (pen 80).

    Yellow Cards: Chester: Livesey, Waring. Farsley Celtic: Spencer.