FA CUP REPORT | Chester 0-0 Hanley Town

    Chester were frustrated by Hanley Town in the Emirates FA Cup this afternoon at the Deva Stadium.

    Despite having big chances early on and then in stoppage time, the visitors held firm for a Tuesday night replay.

    Calum McIntyre made two changes from Tuesday’s 2-2 draw with Chorley, as Joe Lynch and Kevin Roberts replaced Alex Kenyon and Iwan Murray, who both dropped to the bench.

    The Blues got off to a strong start courtesy of two Lynch corners. His first was nodded just wide by Harrison Burke, while the second met Matty Williams who saw his effort cleared off the line by Louis Dodds – Adam Thomas firing the rebound wide.

    Chester pressure continued and Lynch was central to their opportunities.

    His next delivery saw Darren Stephenson glance wide, before once again Williams connected with the midfielder’s cross but nodded wide on the stretch.

    Hanley’s first shot of the half came from Danny Glover on the half hour mark – but Harry Tyrer made a comfortable stop.

    Blues top scorer Kurt Willoughby created a half chance for himself just before the interval, spinning away from his man to meet a Lewis Coulton throw in and volleyed off target.

    Lynch was back to being involved five minutes after the break, picking up a loose ball and driving forward before seeing his left footed curler fly over.

    At the other end moments later Tyrer got down brilliantly to beat away Kyle Stubbs’ deflected low free kick.

    A proper cup tie was evolving and Chester then had another opportunity as Willoughby found Lynch, his attempt stopped by Kieran Harrison.

    From the hour mark, the home side were being shut out brilliantly by their lower league opposition, but then almost won the tie in stoppage time.

    Kieran Harrison made two excellent saves, first to turn Willoughby’s effort behind, before doing superbly to tip Roberts’ deflected drive over the bar at the very end.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Morgan, Williams, Burke (Kenyon 77), Coulton, Roberts, Devine, Lynch (Murray 86), Thomas (Dudley 64), Willoughby, Stephenson.

    SUBS NOT USED: Beswick, Weeks, McHugh, Edwards.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,704.