MATCH REPORT | Chester 2-0 Kidderminster Harriers

    Chester made it four wins on the spin and further pulled away from the chasing play-off pack with an important victory over Kidderminster Harriers.

    Adam Thomas kept up his scoring form with the opener on 52 minutes, before Nat Knight-Percival saw red for the visitors moments later. Charlie Caton then sealed the win late on.

    Manager Calum McIntyre made three changes from the weekend victory over Banbury United. Harrison Burke and Ollie Heywood started in defence in place of Liam Edwards and Alex Brown, while Rhys Hughes dropped to the bench as Iwan Murray started.

    The first 45 was a quiet affair, both sides limited to very few half chances. Chester started brighter and were almost in when Caton ran on to a long ball over the top from Declan Weeks, he nicked the ball ahead of Tom Palmer and contact was made, but a throw in was given as the ball was cleared.

    Weeks made an opportunity for himself on 11 minutes when he turned away from Tom Owen-Evans just inside the box and drilled a ball in, but Palmer managed to kick it behind.

    Kidderminster’s only shot of the half came from the foot of Ethan Freemantle, who volleyed well over, before Murray at the other end saw a swerving effort saved and held by Palmer.

    The last half chance of the half came to the visitors as Ash Hemmings curled in a dangerous corner, but it was nodded over by Owen-Evans.

    Chester came out for the second 45 on the front foot, as instantly from the restart Weeks found Thomas who dragged his shot wide from the edge of the area.

    And the opener then came from that very combination moments later. Palmer’s punch was poor and found the feet of Weeks, his sliding through ball was met by Thomas who took a touch and then fired the ball nicely into the far corner.

    A goal up, and moments later the Blues were a man up. A corner was headed clear at the near post by Matty Williams and, as play continued, Referee Richard Holmes saw Knight-Percival involved in a tussle with Harry Tyrer off the ball – showing him a straight red card.

    Moments later though, Kidderminster almost levelled as a deep cross from Caleb Richards fell to the feet of Kai Lissimore, but Heywood was back to somehow block the shot behind.

    The Harriers pressure continued despite being down to ten, and Tyrer made a superb save on 63 minutes to spring to his left and turn Hemmings’ header away, before a backpedalling Burke headed off the line on the follow up.

    At the other end Caton nearly doubled the advantage as he was played through by Murray, but stabbed his attempt the wrong side of the post.

    Chester continued to probe for a game-killing second as sub Lewis Earl released Caton down the left, his cross took a wicked deflection and Palmer did well to claw the ball away from the line while Willoughby couldn’t turn in the rebound.

    But Caton had a goal of his own to finish the encounter off and secure the points two minutes from time. Weeks again the supplier, a superb through ball for Caton, who kept his cool and slid the ball underneath Palmer in front of a bouncing Harry McNally Terrace.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Burke, Williams, Heywood, Roberts, Weeks, Murray (Earl 84), Thomas (Dudley 68), Caton, Willoughby.

    SUBS NOT USED: Brown, Stephenson, Hughes.

    SCORERS: Thomas 52; Caton 88.

    ATTENDANCE: 2,196 (106 away).