MATCH REPORT | Chester 3-3 King’s Lynn Town

    Chester produced an incredible comeback against top of the table King’s Lynn, coming from three goals down to secure a point.

    A game of two halves as King’s Lynn found themselves two up inside four minutes and three up by half time – but the Blues came storming back to equalise late on.

    Gold Omotayo put the visitors ahead after a penalty was awarded for a foul on Jordan Ponticelli after just two minutes before Theo Widdrington’s goal from the halfway line doubled the hosts misery with just four minutes on the clock.

    Ponticelli than added the third with a lofted finish just before half time.

    The second half started in a similar fashion, but in reverse, as Chester scored two minutes into the half thanks to a tidy Iwan Murray finish.

    Another excellent goal saw Danny Devine set up a grandstand finish before Kurt Willoughby secured a point for the Blues late on.

    Calum McIntyre made two changes from the side that won at Curzon Ashton last Monday as Kole Hall and Liam Edwards came in for Kieran Coates and the suspended Adam Thomas.

    After a short delay to the kick off, King’s Lynn made the perfect start as Alex Kenyon was adjudged to have brought down Ponticelli inside the penalty area. Up stepped Omotayo, who sent Harry Tyrer the wrong way to give the visitors the lead.

    With four minutes on the clock, King’s Lynn added a second as Theo Widdrington scored a stunning goal. With the ball played to him on half way, Widdrington turned to face the Chester goal, moved forward and lobbed Tyrer from inside the centre circle.

    Chester regrouped but found it tricky to break down a strong King’s Lynn side, the Blues’ first chance of the game fell to Darren Stephenson, who fired low but too close to Paul Jones in the visitors’ goal.

    The Linnets always looked threatening though and just before half time added a third as Ponticelli got in behind from an Omotayo flick on and lifted the ball over Tyrer and into the back of the net.

    Michael Clunan looked to add a fourth before the break as he had space on the edge of the penalty area but his swerving shot was straight at Tyrer, to keep the visitors three-up at the break.

    Just like in the first half there was a goal within the opening two minutes of the second half, this time it was for the Blues as nice play from Kurt Willoughby found Hall, and he laid it off to Iwan Murray who finished first time.

    Chester were growing into the game but were struggling to create clear cut chances, with Anthony Dudley, Hall and Murray all unable to find space for a shot before Willoughby saw his effort blocked.

    The Blues were able to pull a second back through some superb play as the ball was into Devine, who controlled the ball on his chest and volleyed it into the bottom corner on the spin.

    Another effort quickly followed as a cross found Dudley in the middle but his effort was turned behind for a corner.

    Chester still had more to come though and with four minutes to go they found the equaliser as sub Ollie Heywood’s free kick found Hall at the back post and he cut it back for Willoughby to convert from close range and send the Deva Stadium into pandemonium.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coulton, Burke, Kenyon, Stephenson (Coates 46), Willoughby, Devine, Williams (Dudley 72), Murray (Heywood 83), Hall, Edwards.

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Roberts.

    SCORERS: Murray 47, Devine 78, Willoughby 86; Omotayo (pen) 3, Widdrington 4, Ponticelli 43.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,695.