MATCH REPORT | Chester FC 2 – 4 Everton Under 23s

    Everton Under 23’s secured an impressive victory in a game that featured four goals in ten minutes in the Blues’ final pre-season game before the National League North campaign begins.

    A debut goal from Anthony Dudley and a Jon Moran strike wasn’t enough for Chester in blustery conditions at the Swansway Chester Stadium.

    The Blues welcomed Danny Livesey and Anthony Dudley during the week, and the duo were brought straight into the starting line-up by Blues bosses, Anthony Johnson and Bernard Morley.

    Chester started brightly in windy conditions, moving the ball round well, with Simon Grand impressing with some of his passing, though it was the visitors who forced the first chance of the afternoon. Nathan Broadhead’s in swinging corner was met by Bassala Sambou, but his header didn’t test Grant Shenton in the Blues goal.

    The home sides first opportunity fell to Dominic Smalley, who fired over from the edge of the area following another dangerous cross from Simon Grand.

    It was Chester who took the lead though, midway through the first half after good work from Trialist A to win the ball in the Everton penalty area, he squared it to Anthony Dudley, who slid the ball under Chris Renshaw in the Everton goal for a debut goal.

    Shortly after the restart it was the other debutant, Danny Livesey, who had a chance to shine as he made a good block from Antony Evans, who had snuck in at the back post to ensure the hosts lead at the break.

    Chester started the second half brightly and almost doubled their advantage as John Pritchard’s corner was headed over by Trialist A.

    The Blues were made to pay for the missed chance shortly after as Nathangelo Markelo’s effort was parried by Shenton and Nathan Broadhead was on hand to turn the ball into an open goal.

    It almost got worse for the hosts three minutes later as Fraser Hornby’s whipped free kick rebounded off the woodwork and out of danger.

    Everton did make their spell of possession count though, as a Nathan Broadhead effort swirled in the wind, forcing Shenton to push it away and substitute Harry Charsley was on hand to turn into an open goal.

    The hosts wouldn’t lie down though, and when Gary Roberts was brought down on the edge of the area, John Pritchard stepped up and fired a wonderful effort against the crossbar, fortunately for Chester Jon Moran was on hand to turn the ball past Hansen.

    Less than a minute later though and the young Evertonians reclaimed the lead after a mistake from Steve Howson let Bassala Sambou in one on one with Shenton, and the young winger slotted the ball into the corner.

    Fraser Hornby had a golden opportunity to double the Everton under 23’s lead as he latched on to a Harry Charsley cross, but his header couldn’t hit the target.

    With the second half wide open, substitute Dan Mooney almost got the Blues back level as his effort clipped the crossbar on the way over from twenty-five yards.

    The Everton under 23 side looked fitter going into the final ten minutes and ensured an impressive victory as Shane Lavery capped off a nice move, racing clear and dispatching the ball beyond Shenton in the Blues’ goal to secure the victory for the visitors.

    Chester FC: Shenton, Livesey (Moran), Pritchard, Roberts (c) (Mooney), Grand, Howson, Smalley, Stopforth, Dudley, Trialist A, Mahon.
    Substitutes: Trialist (GK), Thomson, Brown, Hughes, Downes, Hellawell, Trialist B, Trialist C, Murray.

    Everton Under 23s: Renshaw (Hansen), Denny, Galloway, Markelo, Ouzounidis (Foulds), Browning (c), Evans (Charsley), Adeniran (Bramall), Hornby (Gordon), Broadhead (Mampala), Sambou (Lavery).
    Substitutes: Hansen.

    Goal Scorers: Chester: Dudley (34), Moran (64). Everton u23s: Broadhead (55), Charsley (61), Sambou (65), Lavery (81).
    Attendance: 758.