MATCH REPORT | Curzon Ashton 1-2 Chester

    Chester won on the road for the first time this campaign – bouncing back from three defeats in a row to deservedly defeat Curzon.

    Alex Kenyon opened the scoring precisely halfway through the opening 45, before Tom Peers levelled just after the break. Kurt Willoughby struck the winner – his third of the campaign – to clinch three important points.

    Manager Calum McIntyre made four changes from the defeat to AFC Fylde 48 hours prior.

    Matty Williams, Harrison Burke, Iwan Murray and Darren Stephenson returned to the side – with Joe Lynch, Liam Edwards and Kole Hall all dropping to the bench. Declan Weeks missed out due to injury.

    The first half was quiet and without event prior to the opener, a Murray drive from 20 yards the closest either side had come in the opening quarter of an hour, but it was well off target.

    23 minutes were on the clock when the Welshman delivered an excellent corner, which Adam Thomas nodded towards the six yard box, enabling Kenyon to turn in his first for the club.

    The opening goal injected some confidence into the Yellows, and they went close to doubling their advantage a few minutes later when Stephenson controlled his own flick on, before firing in a shot which Chris Renshaw parried away. The rebound was scrambled clear with Murray lurking.

    Curzon’s first attempt came after 40 minutes when Ryan Hall was afforded some space following a swift counter, but his effort was comfortably over Harry Tyrer’s crossbar.

    But then the hosts did level things up seven minutes after the break. A cross from the right by the left-footed Will Hayhurst found the head of Peers who turned it in.

    McIntyre’s side almost retook the lead moments after as Kieran Coates’ ball from the right found Burke who turned it towards goal but was denied by the reactions of Renshaw.

    However, they did get back in front on 68 minutes. Coates’ ball forward was brilliantly won by Stephenson who charged forward and squared for Willoughby to dispatch his third of the campaign.

    Just moments after, sub Joe Lynch pulled it back for Stephenson who was denied by the dive of Renshaw. Kole Hall had a shot deflected wide and Danny Devine drove one over late on, as the Blues held out for a deserved away victory.

    CHESTER: Tyrer, Coates, Williams, Kenyon, Coulton, Devine, Burke, Murray (Hall 74), Thomas (Lynch 62), Stephenson, Willoughby (Edwards 87).

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, Heywood.

    SCORERS: Peers 52; Kenyon 23, Willoughby 68.