MATCH REPORT | Darlington 2-0 Chester

    Two first half goals saw the Blues fall to defeat for just the third time this season in a floodlight affected fixture.

    Omar Holness and Justin Donawa struck in the opening 45 and, after a delay due to issues with the lighting, Chester couldn’t conjure up a response despite numerous opportunities.

    Bern and Jonno made one change to the side that made it three wins on the spin last weekend, as Kevin Roberts returned to the side to replace Jamie Morgan.

    The home side started on the front foot and had the first opportunity on six minutes. Holness with a fantastic switch into the box for Donawa, but he volleyed wide of the post.

    After Livesey headed wide on the quarter of an hour mark, the game seemed to calm. That was until the 28th minute when Holness found space to latch on to a flick on and send an excellent lob over the onrushing Russ Griffiths to find the net.

    Chester looked to respond as half chances for Akwasi Asante and Simon Grand were turned wide – both coming from Joel Taylor free kicks into the box.

    But then came sucker punch on the stroke of half time. A ball in from the left was spilled by Griffiths and then Taylor – battling with Donawa for the loose ball – appeared to turn the ball into his own net.

    After a 28 minute delay due to floodlight failure, Chester needed to spark into action. They almost got one back when Asante climbed well to meet a Brad Jackson cross but the ball struck the base of the post.

    They then did have the ball in the net when Danny Livesey connected from a cross from the right, but the flag was up for offside.

    Jackson was proving the big threat as the Yellows looked to stage a fightback. Again getting space to run at Liddle but his cross was nodded over by the stretching sub – Matty Hughes.

    The chances kept on coming, Hughes denied by a fantastic block in front of goal from Alex Storey – that was after Campbell almost scored fortunately when Griffiths’ punch struck the forward and went towards goal, but Grand was back to clear.

    Darlo’s record scorer Steve Thompson almost sealed it when he beat the offside trap on 88 minutes on the counter, but Griffiths made a great stop one on one.

    Chester couldn’t find a way back late on and fell to a first league defeat since the end of October.

    CHESTER: Griffiths, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Taylor, Jackson, Stopforth, Glendon, Ngwatala (Elliott 61), Dudley (Hughes 61), Asante.

    SUBS NOT USED: Morgan, G Roberts, Waring.

    SCORERS: Holness 28, Donawa 45+2.

    ATTENDANCE: 1,210.