NLN REPORT | Boston United 0-0 Chester

    Chester picked up their first away clean sheet of the campaign this afternoon, as well as a solid point against ten man Boston in an eventful encounter.

    Jordan Thewlis was sent off for the Pilgrims late on in what was an even game with plenty of chances created at both ends.

    It was a lively start in the drizzle at the Jakemans Community Stadium, as a big chance fell at each end in the opening ten minutes.

    The first opportunity came to the hosts as Terry Hawkridge’s dangerous cross from the right found Jordan Burrow’s run who turned the ball goalbound at the near post – but Louis Gray made a good stop with his legs.

    Moments later, a Chester counter attack ended with Brad Bauress sweeping a ball across the box to the unmarked John Johnston at the back post – but he was superbly denied by the reactions of Ross Fitzsimons.

    Plenty of attempts were finding the target, but both goalkeepers were equal to the efforts. Gray pushed away a drive from Andi Thanoj from the edge of the box before Fitzsimons again made a super reaction stop, this time to deny Brad Bauress inside the area.

    Yet again, another chance came in a frenetic first half. A Jordan Thewlis ball from the left flashed across goal and found an unmarked Hawkridge at the back post. He had time to steady himself and drill in a shot but Kevin Roberts was back to make a brave block with his head.

    Boston would go close again on 37 minutes. Thanoj’s free kick into the box found the unmarked Paul Green, his header deflected off Danny Livesey and ricocheted inches wide of the post.

    While the action on the field was exciting, we had drama off it just a few minutes into the second 45. Boston’s First Team Coach Lee Stratford was sent off for pushing over Johnston on the touchline in trying to retrieve the ball. The Blues winger was also booked for his part.

    Gray was then called into action for yet another excellent save – good reactions low to deny Thanoj’s header following Thewlis’ cross from the right.

    A somewhat quiet second half on the field, but off the ball and off the field saw a further three red cards brandished by Referee Jon Kenny.

    First, an off the ball incident ended with Thewlis being given his marching orders. A melee ensued in the dugout as well, which saw Blues Joint Boss Bernard Morley and Boston’s subbed midfielder Mitch Rose also seeing red.

    Chester dominated the ball late on with the man advantage, and nearly won it on 88 minutes when Simon Grand’s defence splitting pass found Elliott, who spun and dragged his low attempt inches wide.

    Elliott’s replacement George Waring then headed just off target in stoppage time from Glendon’s delivery – as the spoils were shared.

    CHESTER: Gray, K Roberts, Livesey, Grand, Morgan, Lacey (Dudley 82), Glendon, Weeks, Johnston, Elliott (Waring 90), Bauress (Jackson 70).

    SUBS NOT USED: G Roberts, Goodwin.

    SCORERS: None.