NLN REPORT | Gloucester City 2-1 Chester

    Chester lost late at the league leaders this afternoon, as former-Blue Akwasi Asante scored a late winner for Gloucester City.

    The forward fired home two minutes from time, seconds after sub Anthony Dudley had struck the Blues level – cancelling out Liam Daly’s opener.

    After a quiet start in the blustery winds in the South West, it was the home side who had the first real opportunities.

    On ten minutes, Bernard Menah’s dangerous delivery from the left was pushed away by Louis Gray, but only as far as Gavin Gunning on the edge, who drilled his effort well over the bar.

    Moments after, Matt McClure won the ball high up the pitch and drove into the box before shooting – Gray getting down to make a strong stop to his right.

    The Blues nearly had an opening on 20 minutes following a quick goal kick and counter attack – but Danny Elliott’s shot on the edge deflected into the hands of Louie Moulden with John Johnston perhaps a better option to his left.

    In a somewhat non-eventful opening 45, the best chances for either side fell in stoppage time.

    First for Chester – as Johnston fired wide an excellent opportunity unmarked inside the area on the volley. Moments later, Carline’s cross from the right found an unmarked Ben Morgan but the defender couldn’t get any power behind it and Gray made a comfortable stop.

    Bern and Jonno’s side had a big shout for a penalty on 49 minutes as Elliott went down just inside the area – but Referee Michael Barlow was quick to wave it away.

    Kev Roberts would then come within inches of turning Johnston’s delivery home moments later.

    Nevertheless, it was the league leaders who hit the front on 58 minutes. A free kick from Gunning was whipped to the back post – where defender Liam Daly was lurking to bullet a header into the net leaving Gray with no chance.

    Four minutes following, Declan Weeks tried his luck with a swerving effort from 25 yards which was saved and well held by Tigers ‘keeper Moulden.

    For the second time in the half, Chester would then have penalty appeals waved away by the official as Elliott was again involved – shouts for handball as the forward’s shot was blocked were to be in vain.

    Gloucester sub Jack James had the chance to wrap it up ten minutes from time, but his low shot was well stopped by the legs of Gray.

    But a triple sub by Chester’s management duo looked to have paid off with a leveller four minutes from time. Anthony Dudley twisted and turned inside the area before firing beyond Moulden to make it 1-1.

    However, leaders Gloucester struck a cruel blow just seconds from the restart. A long ball forward was flicked on for Asante, who strode into the box and lifted his finish over Gray to score a dramatic winner against his former club.

    CHESTER: Gray, Morgan, K Roberts, Grand, Taylor, Johnston (Bauress 81), Weeks, Glendon, Jackson, Waring (Dudley 81), Elliott (Hughes 81).

    SUBS NOT USED: G Roberts, Marsh-Hughes.

    SCORERS: Daly 58, Asante 88; Dudley 86.