NLN REPORT | York City 2-1 Chester

    York edged out the Blues this afternoon, despite another encouraging performance from Bern and Jonno’s side.

    Chester created a plethora of opportunities, and were level in the second half as Declan Weeks’ excellent strike cancelled out Scott Barrow’s streaky opener – but Akil Wright scored the winner for Steve Watson’s men.

    It was the Minstermen, unchanged from their midweek win over Blyth, who had the first big chance in the tenth minute of the game.

    Jack Redshaw was afforded time and space on the right to clip a cross to the back post, and Harry Bunn’s header crashed against the crossbar and away – although Louis Gray may have got the slightest of fingertips to the effort.

    Gray was busy again a few minutes later, pushing away Redshaw’s shot from Wright’s low cutback.

    But the Blues, sporting their green and white change strip, had chances of their own. At the end of an impressive move on 19 minutes, Weeks slid a pass in behind for the run of George Glendon – but the midfielder was denied by the legs of Peter Jameson.

    Moments later, Weeks flashed an excellent ball across the six yard box which no Chester player could turn towards goal.

    Despite a promising opening half hour though, York took the lead. A short corner found an unmarked Scott Barrow on the edge – and his shot took a big deflection before finding the net.

    From the restart, the Blues almost got level. Goodwin’s header found the chest of Elliott who then spun and shot 20 yards out – but Jameson punched the effort behind.

    They went even closer just after that chance. Patient build up ended with Glendon finding Weeks inside the box this time, and the midfielder dragged his low effort inches wide of the far post.

    After an impressive first half, the Blues didn’t create anything in the first ten minutes of the second 45 – but made their opportunity count just shy of the hour mark.

    Weeks drove into the box, before seeing the ball sit nicely for him and then unleashing a fantastic low shot into the bottom corner beyond Jameson.

    But just as Bern and Jonno’s side were building momentum, they were back behind. A corner from the left was headed towards goal by Akil Wright, and the ball bounced and crept into the bottom corner despite Morgan’s best efforts on the line.

    Chester kept playing excellent football and were almost level once more with a quarter of an hour to go. Elliott fed Johnston on the left, his clever ball found the underlapping run of Morgan who poked an effort just wide of the post.

    They kept pushing late on. Morgan saw a fizzing low effort held by Jameson, before Glendon’s superb diagonal pass found the head of sub George Waring – but his attempt drifted inches wide of the post.

    In the last minute of normal time, Matty Hughes’ ball into the box dropped kindly for Elliott – but the forward blazed over in front of goal – as York held on for the three points.

    CHESTER: Gray, Morgan, Livesey, Grand, K Roberts, Johnston (Dudley 75), Glendon, Weeks, Lacey (Hughes 75), Elliott, Goodwin (Waring 75).

    SUBS NOT USED: G Roberts, Bauress.

    SCORERS: Barrow 31, Wright 70; Weeks 58.